Fast advice needed re telephoto lens on ebay

Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited December 22, 2004 in Accessories
Hi Guys,

I've found a 3x telephoto High Def AF lens on ebay which I think i like the sound of, but am unsure, 'cause I don't know a hell of a lot about these kinds of things.

Brand: Opteka

their blurb:

3x High definition professional telephoto lens
<LI>
High-index / low-dispersion optical glass
<LI>
Fully multi-coated, every element
<LI>
Anti-reflection coating
<LI>
High-impact poly-carbonate barrel
<LI>
High speed auto-focus / Infrared compatible
<LI>
Designed to maximize day and night shots by providing maximum light and image transmission
<LI>
Fantastic for all types of photographic situation
<LI>
Made and designed in Japan
<LI>
Lens bag, lens covers, and instructions included
<LI>
Brand new, Lifetime warranty
What of that is crap?
I know it is a cheapy, but I will never be able to afford the genuine fuji lenses, so its a cheapy or its nothing.
I've only seen the 2x telephotos around the place .... would the 3x be even better? or will I still be disappointed 'cause it still doesn't get as close as I want (i want to get as close as possible - of course!)
Opteka_3x_Telephoto.jpg
Anyway, if anyone has any advice, suggestions, stories etc about telephoto lenses, let me know. auction ends in 3 hours ..... i'm sure there will be others around the place.... its just that i've managed to convince my husband that he should buy me a telephoto and a wide angle for x-mas!!!! :D (read: pig in mud!)
cheers!

Canon EOS 30D
Sigma 10-20
Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
Canon 18-55
Canon 50 f1.8
Canon 430EX

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    I have no idea what "Opteka" is. It's not sold at either bhphoto or adorama. Might not be such a great deal, kate.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    I know its just going to be some cheap brand, so that's cool. that's all I can afford anyway.
    found same thing that's ending in about 3 days, so i don't have to make up my mind for a little while now.
    thanks anyway, fish. :D

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    Someone posted about Opteka's at DPReview I believe. One of the replies said that no one has ever walked away happy with one. eek7.gif

One of the biggest reasons I wouldn't buy it is because of the statement on the box that reads "Professionally Tested".

Statements like that really concern me...especially on lenses mwink.gif Have you ever seen a Canon or Nikon lens state "Professionally Tested" on the box?rolleyes1.gif

Now, back when I had my A70 I invested in a similar teleconverter/wideangle by Digital Optiks. I can safely say they were sucky. Poor quality and the wideangle blurred out around the edges. I never even used the Telephoto now that I think back. headscratch.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

edited December 14, 2004
    Thanks. I was going to ask about Digital Optics too, as there are some of those on ebay too.
    do you know why people were not happy with them? what does a cheap lenses not do that the expensive ones do do??
    thanks for taking the time to respond too - really appreciated :D
    it always scares me buying stuff over the internet too, so its nice to get some feedback before i jump!

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
    edited December 14, 2004
    I can only speak about the Digital Optiks.

With my A70, anything I shot with the 0.45x wideangle was sharp in the middle and slowly got blurrier towards the edges. It wasn't dramatic, but I wasn't exactly happy once I noticed.

I never paid much attention to the telephoto because, frankly, the 2x telephoto barely made a difference and I only used it once (when I received it). I found I could simply take a few extra steps and achieve the 2x a lot faster than fitting the adapter and lens. :D

Now...there is definitely a *fun* factor in this. Having these little guys (especially the wideangle) were most definitely fun.

With that, I leave you with some samples of my wideangle 0.45x Digital Optiks lens that I took with me to Puerto Rico earlier this year. Enjoy...(no telephotos, sorry)
    4281993-L.jpg
    4282000-L.jpg
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

edited December 14, 2004
    wow. thanks for that Perez.
    i also have my eye on a fisheye 0.42x.... its got me drooling a little.
    i'm thinking I might get more use from the fish eye than I would from telephoto (for the reasons you say: just step forward instead!)
    there is just too much to spend money on!!!!!!
    rolleyes1.gif
    thanks for your comments though and I really like your wide angle shots!

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    If you are realatively new to E-bay I would recommend posting a link here to the auction page so others can take a look and tell you if it looks shaky.

There are honest people selling on e-bay but not all of them are and there are things that you can look for to tip you off to the bad ones.
    edited December 14, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    If you are realatively new to E-bay I would recommend posting a link here to the auction page so others can take a look and tell you if it looks shaky.

There are honest people selling on e-bay but not all of them are and there are things that you can look for to tip you off to the bad ones.
    Agreed. Lately Ebay has grown in fraud. Read the post below (by photographers for photographers) and become an informed consumer.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/151938/0#1236223

• TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    AussieKate wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I've found a 3x telephoto High Def AF lens on ebay which I think i like the sound of, but am unsure, 'cause I don't know a hell of a lot about these kinds of things.

Brand: Opteka

their blurb:

3x High definition professional telephoto lens

<LI>
    High-index / low-dispersion optical glass

<LI>
    Fully multi-coated, every element

<LI>
    Anti-reflection coating

<LI>
    High-impact poly-carbonate barrel

<LI>
    High speed auto-focus / Infrared compatible

<LI>
    Designed to maximize day and night shots by providing maximum light and image transmission

<LI>
    Fantastic for all types of photographic situation

<LI>
    Made and designed in Japan

<LI>
    Lens bag, lens covers, and instructions included

<LI>
    Brand new, Lifetime warranty

What of that is crap?
    I know it is a cheapy, but I will never be able to afford the genuine fuji lenses, so its a cheapy or its nothing.
    I've only seen the 2x telephotos around the place .... would the 3x be even better? or will I still be disappointed 'cause it still doesn't get as close as I want (i want to get as close as possible - of course!)
    Opteka_3x_Telephoto.jpg
    Anyway, if anyone has any advice, suggestions, stories etc about telephoto lenses, let me know. auction ends in 3 hours ..... i'm sure there will be others around the place.... its just that i've managed to convince my husband that he should buy me a telephoto and a wide angle for x-mas!!!! :D (read: pig in mud!)
    cheers!

Why don't you re-post and let us know if you bought the lens. Also if you did, have received it already, and your opinion of it.