Necessity is the mother of invention

nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited October 8, 2006 in Technique
This may sound like a silly idea, but I was out back trying shoot macro of a large white moth, when curses, I realized that the tripod was too short! Given the lack of DOF, shooting up at the thing wasn't an opton. I had three of those office type plastic trash cans they sell at Sam's. They worked perfectly. They were tall enough that I could shorten the tripod way up, allowing me to get close to the wall, and the rectangular bottom gace me lots of adjustment room to move the tripod about to get lined up. They are not exactly asthetic enough for use in front of clients, but for things like this they work well.

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    One thing I have learned is that photography is all smoke and mirrors. Doing what you need to get the shot is what it takes :-)

Good Job!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Yup. It doesn't matter how cheesy and ghetto your setup looks "on set" so long as you get the image you're after. Good thinking. thumb.gif
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Hey! That's about like my chopping up a plastic Tasco microscope to use it as a macro rail for my stackers!

"Improvise, adapt and overcome", right???
    Steve-o
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    As long as the smoke doesn't get in your eyes!
    One thing I have learned is that photography is all smoke and mirrors. Doing what you need to get the shot is what it takes :-)

Good Job!
    Steve-o