Superbike Championships

Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited October 7, 2006 in Sports
I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share a few from the AMA Championships this past weekend at the Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course. Comments are always welcome!

Jake Zemke
6854.jpg

The "unemployeed" Aaron Yates
6625.jpg

2007 Suzuki rider Tommy Hayden
6456.jpg

Matt Mladin
6493.jpg

Mladin Holds off Yates for the Win.
7162.jpg

2006 AMA Superbike Champion Ben Spies
6687.jpg

Spies and his crew chief celebrate the championship.
7208.jpg

Comments

• KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Great shots! Sharpness... colo(u)r... crop... all good. I've added you to my "learn from these guys" list! :D

Kenny
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    400mm f/2.8L IS, f/4 IS DO, or f/5.6L lens? These are great photos! clap.gif
  • oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Great shots as usual --Thanks for sharing
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    400mm f/2.8L IS, f/4 IS DO, or f/5.6L lens? These are great photos! clap.gif

These were taken with the 20D and the 400L f5.6. I think the f5.6 is one of the most under-rated lenses on the market. It is super sharp, super fast AF and small and compact.

Thanks for the good comments guys!
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Very nice. thumb.gif

I watched on the telly Sunday and noticed what appeared to be very favorable light.
    Tim
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Great work. Love all the shots.thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    The first two really do it for me. The color and detail in #1 and the subtle heat waves in #2. thumb.gif Nicely captured. I'd love to try out the 400/5.6 at some point.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Terry66 wrote:
    These were taken with the 20D and the 400L f5.6. I think the f5.6 is one of the most under-rated lenses on the market. It is super sharp, super fast AF and small and compact.

Thanks for the good comments guys!

I'll agree with that... only problem is its not real good for overcast rainy/days low light situations. Obviously not a problem on that day!! thumb.gif
    edited October 4, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    I'll agree with that... only problem is its not real good for overcast rainy/days low light situations. Obviously not a problem on that day!! thumb.gif

You know...I have heard that, but I think it works just fine. There were all shot in terrible conditions with the 400L f5.6.

rolex4.jpg

9580web.jpg

9573web.jpg

rolex2.jpg

8760web.jpg
  • galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Outstanding!

I've considered the 400 5.6 myself, quite a bargain. But I'd never seen anything shot with it 'till now. I can see it obviously does the job and, of course, the 400 gives a nice depth of field.

Were you spot-focusing for the top three? The 20D AF is not as good with side-to-side panning in my experience. I gotta start doing more spot work. You guys are killing me with that sharpness! Great job. :)
    edited October 4, 2006
    Saxon wrote:
    Were you spot-focusing for the top three? The 20D AF is not as good with side-to-side panning in my experience. I gotta start doing more spot work. You guys are killing me with that sharpness! Great job. :)

Thanks man...glad you like them....I wasn't spot focusing. I was shooting in servo mode and just tracking the bikes. I find that if I give myself a second or two to "lock on" and track, the 20D does a pretty good job at keeping up. Sometimes I shoot with a monopod for a little added stability. Not the premier setup, but it gets the job done I suppose...

BTW...nice bike shots on your site...
  • galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Terry66 wrote:
    Thanks man...glad you like them....I wasn't spot focusing. I was shooting in servo mode and just tracking the bikes. I find that if I give myself a second or two to "lock on" and track

Interesting, that's exactly how I shoot most of the time: pick up bike, half-press, follow for lock and track, fire. For stability and accuracy, sometimes I'll sit with my butt on the ground and place one foot where I'll start tracking and the other were I'll take the shot.

Thanks for the the compliment. 90% of those in my portfolio were taken with the 70-200IS! I've actually had very good results with it using servo tracking. I like to shoot all over the track. But I'm learning to really appreciate slow corners!

Again, great job.
  • tcsphototcsphoto Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Terry66 wrote:
    I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share a few from the AMA Championships this past weekend at the Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course. Comments are always welcome!

Fantastic photos, color, and clarity. Keep up the good work.
    Tom (tcsphoto)

I used to dream of all things Nikon, then I got the bill.
    http://www.sowdphotography.com/