Harder than I thought, 1st poster try

j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited October 6, 2006 in Sports
I had to quit at my 1st try. Basically, because I have no clue here. I am not the most artistic and certainly it now seems that I don't have much imagination. :dunno

I know this is lacking, but any direction would be helpful. I have many other types of photo's of the rider I can use also.

Maybe I shouldn't make the background as a riding pic?

Heck, I really am lost here.

99785656-M.jpg

Comments

• FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Would you consider using the image in the lower left corner as the main image to replace the largest one where the rider has his back to the camera?
    Frank
    (Pbase supporter) www.pbase.com/eng45ine
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    My first thought was the same as Frank's. I think that the main image of the poster should be a nice frontal shot, rather than the back of the rider. Otherwise, nice work
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    OH yeah... I'd consider anything. I'm not even sure how many photo's or what size to even include on the poster. I guess I need to get an idea 1st instead of going nilly willy with it.

It looks like a lot of empty space to me also, but I dont know if adding more or larger photo's would be the trick or adding "something" to it would help either.

Thanks.. all input is priceless!
    FrankieAng wrote:
    Would you consider using the image in the lower left corner as the main image to replace the largest one where the rider has his back to the camera?
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Is this for the web, or for a poster print? Big difference!!
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Just my two cents, same as above, use the frontal shot as the main image, and number two, make it poster shaped. If you look at most posters they are rectangular not square. I think this feels like it has open sapce because it is too wide.

Just my 2 cents.
    edited October 4, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    Is this for the web, or for a poster print? Big difference!!

This is for a poster print.

The size is 16x20. What is the recommended size to use? I don't want the full 20x30 size to use, something smaller would work best.

Thanks!
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    j-bo wrote:
    This is for a poster print.

The size is 16x20. What is the recommended size to use? I don't want the full 20x30 size to use, something smaller would work best.

Thanks!

Most posters are oriented 90 degrees to the way you have yours, so that the 16" side is horizontal and the 20" side is vertical. Also called "portrait".
  • sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    J-bo,

I would pick one image as your main focus in the foreground. Then choose a second image to use in the background. Finally choose a third image (like the race track) as a backdrop.
    1. Create a 16x20 or 20x16 file.
    2. Fill the BACKGROUND LAYER with a color sample from the third image (backdrop).
    3. Place your BACKDROP IMAGE LAYER on top of the BACKGROUND LAYER. Desaturate the BACKDROP IMAGE LAYER and set the opacity to 5%-8%.
    4. Still on the BACKDROP IMAGE LAYER, add a layer mask. Then select Radial Gradient. Put you mouse pointer in the middle of the image, press and hold the left mouse button, then drag the mouse towards or beyond one of the corners of the image.
    5. Place your FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER on top of the BACKDROP & BACKGROUND IMAGE LAYERS. Resize the foreground image to your taste. Position the FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER to your liking.
    6. Duplicate the FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER. Now you have FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER & FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER COPY.
    7. Take the FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER and desaturate. Set the opacity to 15%. Select the Move Tool and offset the FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER (drag the FOREGROUND IMAGE LAYER up & to the right, down & the right, up & to the left or down & to the left).
    This should get you started in the right direction. If you have any other question...just ask.thumb.gif I've posted three samples of what the effect should look like. Take a look at more of my work. Feel free to use any ideas or samples you like.

PC Desktop Wallpapers - http://sonnycantu.smugmug.com/gallery/1132459
    Posters - http://sonnycantu.smugmug.com/Custom%20Mini%20Posters

56335014-L.jpg
    54825695-L.jpg
    54825656-L.jpg
    edited October 4, 2006
    I find doing this sort of thing tough as well. We're in the realm of graphic design here, and that is much different than photography. You've already gotten good advice in terms of a better main photo (rider coming at you, not away), etc. I still find these collages difficult and I've gravitated more towards a fake magazine cover. I just find it easier to create myself. Maybe you would as well. Food for thought.

http://mercphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/364085
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    sonny has some great examples. much better than I do. but just taking what you have & doing a rough outline.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    edited October 4, 2006
    Thanks all, great ideas!! I'm going to retry my next attempt tomorrow. I have something else in mind also but am going to try the step by step process.

Pshop is all new to me also and I'm just trying to figure out how to use all these layers and features. ne_nau.gif Heck it took me the longest time to even know how to do text editing and such. rolleyes1.gif

I can't wait to try some more. Thanks!!

I'm sure I'll have a gazillion more questions.
    edited October 5, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    I find doing this sort of thing tough as well. We're in the realm of graphic design here, and that is much different than photography. You've already gotten good advice in terms of a better main photo (rider coming at you, not away), etc. I still find these collages difficult and I've gravitated more towards a fake magazine cover. I just find it easier to create myself. Maybe you would as well. Food for thought.

http://mercphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/364085

Not to offend, but you shouldn't discourage j-bo from trying new ideas. This is how we grow and learn. Mercphoto....I was in the same boat only 2 years ago. Totally new to Photoshop CS and "graphic design", I taught myself how to use the program in only 3 months. Two books and several tutorial websites later....I am pretty good.

**stepping off pedestal**
    edited October 5, 2006
    sonny_c wrote:
    **stepping off pedestal**
    Good. I gave an opinion of mine, that's all. No reason for you to get high and mighty over it.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited October 5, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Good. I gave an opinion of mine, that's all. No reason for you to get high and mighty over it.

I was joking...lighten up buddy.

Geez do I really need to make it that obvious?!?!
    edited October 5, 2006
    Okee.. after taking an hour or 2 or 3 to figure out some of those steps you gave me Sonny....I've found neat stuff, don't know how to do that neat stuff or what it actually does yet, but clicking around to find radial gradient and how to add a mask layer helped. ha.

Here is my 2nd try. Still needs something though eh? Maybe some of the "mess" that you have in yours, like the checkered stuff in the background and.. etc.

I also think I overdid the same effect too.

I do have another question, when looking at full size, I notice I need to still touch up all the edges. Is there a simpler way to do this? Is there a way to blend or blur the edges to take away the "jaggies" ?

Will have to play more tomorrow. I'm doing at work because of superior PC's compared to my snail at home.

100258041-M.jpg
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    I like that. much cleaner. but maybe the faded levels behind not on top of.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    edited October 6, 2006
    Okay.. last one. I'm done with this one and have learned ALOT! Thanks Sonny and all.

I'm still looking though to see how to make the edges blend though or is that the tedious part of cut outs?

100420436-M.jpg