Options

D200 settings

stephenbrunostephenbruno Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited October 4, 2006 in Technique
I am curious about everyone uses settings for the D200. I am especially interested in how you set it for landscape, portrait, sunsets, birds in- flight and sea life. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Techniques with D200
    What do you recommend for settings with the D200 in terms of aperature and shutter speed etc... with landscape and other subjects?
  • Options
    LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    What do you recommend for settings with the D200 in terms of aperature and shutter speed etc... with landscape and other subjects?

follow the links from the first one. Lots of great ideas on setting the banks

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID202/19732.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200/quality-settings.htm
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Another question
    thanks and another question...when i shoot ISO200 what is best to do to have landscape be in focus front and back? Is it F22? If so what is the shutter speed. I keep noticing that to get all in focus is a challenge. Thanks!

LittleLew wrote:
    follow the links from the first one. Lots of great ideas on setting the banks

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID202/19732.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200/quality-settings.htm
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    thanks and another question...when i shoot ISO200 what is best to do to have landscape be in focus front and back? Is it F22? If so what is the shutter speed. I keep noticing that to get all in focus is a challenge. Thanks!

I could answer this specifically but that wouldn't help you much.
    You really need to read some material on basic exposure issues.
    Get a basic book on photography.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    I understand
    I see your point. Just wondered if folks had some examples.
    LittleLew wrote:
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    I am curious about everyone uses settings for the D200. I am especially interested in how you set it for landscape, portrait, sunsets, birds in- flight and sea life. Thanks!

That's like asking how everyone sets their stove for cooking, or what gear people use when driving. And the answer is always different, because the situations are always different.

Now all is not lost to a novice, many cameras have scene modes that will get you pretty close to usable photos if you use the right scene mode for the scene you are encountering. But even then there is going to be adjustments needed based on current circumstances.

So the real answer is start shooting, gain experience, its the experience that will be your best guide. And experience comes through making mistakes...lot's of mistakes. The sooner you start making them the better mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Can't argue with the practice part
    Can't argue with the practice part...but preferences of others under specific circumstances do help :)
    That's like asking how everyone sets their stove for cooking, or what gear people use when driving. And the answer is always different, because the situations are always different.

Now all is not lost to a novice, many cameras have scene modes that will get you pretty close to usable photos if you use the right scene mode for the scene you are encountering. But even then there is going to be adjustments needed based on current circumstances.

So the real answer is start shooting, gain experience, its the experience that will be your best guide. And experience comes through making mistakes...lot's of mistakes. The sooner you start making them the better mwink.gif
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    The problem is that it will be based off of your own circumstances, and your own style. I know I do some shots that are considered gauche by some and fine by others; it's all about what gets the job done, to me.

It will also be based off of lens. For instance, I tend to shoot party shots from the hip (ie, not on my eye for framing and composition), which I can do with a fast wide lens (2.8 at least, or a 50mm at f/2 if I'm feeling like I got my aim down cold). What kind of shots do you like taking? How do you get the shots you like?

Or are there particular effects you're going for? If so, what effects? Lens Flare? Blurred background? Motion blur? Those are a bit more particular and answerable.
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    LittleLew wrote:

I will toss in a hint to help you get the ball rolling... search out hyperfocal and also search for diffraction... that should help you out in your quest for that great landscape clap.gif It's all about practice, cursing and practicing some more and a little jig does not hurt much either wings.gif
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    I appreciate your support
    Yes, i understand what you mean.

With the D200 I will be mostly doing wildlife and birds and some landscape/nature. I learned on the D70s with its 'training wheels' and now I need to learn how to do the f-stops and shutter sppeds to have the subject in focus or the entire landscape image in focus. No other special effects, just the basics.

Thanks much for you responding.
    mmroden wrote:
    The problem is that it will be based off of your own circumstances, and your own style. I know I do some shots that are considered gauche by some and fine by others; it's all about what gets the job done, to me.

It will also be based off of lens. For instance, I tend to shoot party shots from the hip (ie, not on my eye for framing and composition), which I can do with a fast wide lens (2.8 at least, or a 50mm at f/2 if I'm feeling like I got my aim down cold). What kind of shots do you like taking? How do you get the shots you like?

Or are there particular effects you're going for? If so, what effects? Lens Flare? Blurred background? Motion blur? Those are a bit more particular and answerable.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Can't argue with the practice part...but preferences of others under specific circumstances do help :)

I would argue that in practice, they don't help, they hurt by diverting your attention from what is, to what was, for someone else. Learn your cameras functions and then have at it. If you have particular problems in a certain area, ask for help. But your question is too broad and the answers won't help this early in the game.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Yes, i understand what you mean.

With the D200 I will be mostly doing wildlife and birds and some landscape/nature. I learned on the D70s with its 'training wheels' and now I need to learn how to do the f-stops and shutter sppeds to have the subject in focus or the entire landscape image in focus. No other special effects, just the basics.

Thanks much for you responding.
    Wide depth of field results from using a small aperture (e.g. f/8), wide angle lens, and distance from the subject (farther away will have a wider depth of field). The more you step away from those, the smaller the depth of field will be. Using f/2.8 will have a narrow depth of field compared to f/8.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    I merged your two duplicate threads into this one.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Ok. mid day sunshine...using 18-70mm...shooting landscape with light clouds...D200...to get entire imanage in focus would I, for example, use !SO 200 100 sp and f22 or f16? If f22 is too dark can I use f16 or f8? If so do I need to change sp?
    I would argue that in practice, they don't help, they hurt by diverting your attention from what is, to what was, for someone else. Learn your cameras functions and then have at it. If you have particular problems in a certain area, ask for help. But your question is too broad and the answers won't help this early in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    thanks
    I will toss in a hint to help you get the ball rolling... search out hyperfocal and also search for diffraction... that should help you out in your quest for that great landscape clap.gif It's all about practice, cursing and practicing some more and a little jig does not hurt much either wings.gif
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    can I use f16 or f8? If so do I need to change sp?

you don't have the basics to use the information well. try reading these simple tutorials first and then go from there.

http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/toc.html
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Thank you. I am seeing that there is much to study.
    LittleLew wrote:
    you don't have the basics to use the information well. try reading these simple tutorials first and then go from there.

http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/toc.html