different questions: make 2nd copy and adding keywords

digitalitiesdigitalities Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited October 4, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

I've different questions about the functionality of smugmug:
  1. "make 2nd copy" of a picture
    1. does it make a completely independent physical copy of the pic and the related metadata?
    2. if I have a private gallery and want to put some pic in a public one, basically I could make 2nd copy and move the new copy to the public gallery; these pics will have independent life, right?
  2. adding keywords from smugmug web interface
    1. if a photo is uploaded with IPTC keywords, then they appear also as keywords in the web interface
    2. if I add keywords from the web interface, will they be added to the IPTC metadata? (it seems no, same for caption)
Thanks, Sergio

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Hello,

I've different questions about the functionality of smugmug:

"make 2nd copy" of a picture
    does it make a completely independent physical copy of the pic and the related metadata?
    Yes, if there was metadata in the original being copied.
    if I have a private gallery and want to put some pic in a public one, basically I could make 2nd copy and move the new copy to the public gallery; these pics will have independent life, right?
    Yes.
    [*]adding keywords from smugmug web interface
    If you add them via SmugMug - they are kept separately. If you add them via IPTC on your computer, they are there in the metadata.
  • digitalitiesdigitalities Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    thanks! This let me think about a set of feature requests:

1. keywords and caption added via smugmug should go to IPTC

2. EXIF should be possible to be enabled on lower resolution pics generated by smugmug. (Short term solution could be to have a link to them in the share.mg; this seems to be alread in the feature request page)

3. A compound command like for a single pic "Make a 2nd Copy and Move to Gallery" would save a lot of time when reorganizing pics; for the single pic, this should be possible to be performed without going to a new page; I guess that with some fancy ajax feature, this could be implemented in a clean way.

Cheers, Sergio