Just bought an XTi... and hi.

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in Cameras
Been registered here forever but never really posted.

Hi Antrieb's dad!

Well anyways... I just sold my camera (Fujifilm FinePix S7000) to a good friend (Antrieb) since I have been planning to buy a DSLR for months now. And tonight I took the plunge and bought a Canon XTi from B&H Photo... :D I am so excited, I also got the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I should get it on Friday, maybe Monday...

This will be my first foray (sp?) into DSLRs. I have been playing around consistantly with my father's old Canon film camera, learning about lenses and aperature, shutter speed, etc. Finally I will have my own... :barb

So hi.. (again?) I am located in NJ, USA... love cars, photography and programming. I will definately be on here a lot more now that I have a decent camera! If you want to see some of the shots I took with my S7000, you can visit my gallery at http://gallery.jsedlak.org

Thank you all!:thumb

Comments

• HaystackHaystack Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    welcome jsedlak,

I will be interested to know how you like the xti. I think its a neat camera but there are rumblings of an underexposure problem on dpreview.com. I noticed it on mine right away in the basic modes, but I am not quite decided if it is the camera or me the operator and the lighting situation I was in, getting to know the camera etc. Anyhow welcome.
    :ginger
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Haystack wrote:
    welcome jsedlak,

I will be interested to know how you like the xti. I think its a neat camera but there are rumblings of an underexposure problem on dpreview.com. I noticed it on mine right away in the basic modes, but I am not quite decided if it is the camera or me the operator and the lighting situation I was in, getting to know the camera etc. Anyhow welcome.
    :ginger

Hmm... Interesting, I do not know enough to know what could be causing that (inside the camera), perhaps it will recieve a firmware upgrade or something to fix it? Who knows... How badly underexposed are your shots coming out? When I had tried my friends 30D on for fun I was over exposing everyshot by quite a bit.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    wave.gif Welcome to a world of fun.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 4, 2006
    wave.gif Welcome!

I'll add this to Waxy's comment. Start saving your pennies rolleyes1.gif Fun, but it can get expensive :cavig

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Again to reiterate
    Even though I started a thread about the xti and many have observed noise levels compared to the 20, 30d's or Rebel XT's....I'm very pleased with mine. I shoot in RAW just about 99% of the time. I notice that at 800 ISO there is noise but when converted to JPEG it seems to dissapear dramatically. I have many shots posted using the Xti and should you care to look at my galleries (the photos will say which was shot with such as A620 Powershot or Xti) you'll see how nice this camera really is.

I understand that adding an additional 2 mpx per image can increase noise but Canon worked hard addressing this issue. I don't know about how the Rebel XT formulated the processing as I've not had one to compare. What I do know is that I'm very pleased with the results of this camera. I typically shoot in ISO 100 unless the light is too low to where camera shake is evident. Even at 400 ISO in RAW, once balanced and the way I like it, then converting to JPEG there doesn't seem to be a big deal (to me anyway).

I think the glass may play a major part in the overall outcome of a photo. Many of my shots are with the 28-135 IS (Canon). The 50 mm 1.8 is a great lens and here is a prime example of that wide open:.....

98091401-L.jpg

As far as I'm concerned...you've done real well with your selection and I'm sure you are going to have a ton of fun. Be looking forward to your posts.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited October 4, 2006
    wave.gif Welcome!

I'll add this to Waxy's comment. Start saving your pennies rolleyes1.gif Fun, but it can get expensive :cavig

Steve

Oh I know already, I have been looking for the ideal Zoom lens but am having trouble finding out about Macro/Non-Macro lenses and what the differences are. I think my gf wants to get me a lens for Christmas this year... bowdown.gif
    Swartzy wrote:
    Even though I started a thread about the xti and many have observed noise levels compared to the 20, 30d's or Rebel XT's....I'm very pleased with mine. I shoot in RAW just about 99% of the time. I notice that at 800 ISO there is noise but when converted to JPEG it seems to dissapear dramatically. I have many shots posted using the Xti and should you care to look at my galleries (the photos will say which was shot with such as A620 Powershot or Xti) you'll see how nice this camera really is.

I understand that adding an additional 2 mpx per image can increase noise but Canon worked hard addressing this issue. I don't know about how the Rebel XT formulated the processing as I've not had one to compare. What I do know is that I'm very pleased with the results of this camera. I typically shoot in ISO 100 unless the light is too low to where camera shake is evident. Even at 400 ISO in RAW, once balanced and the way I like it, then converting to JPEG there doesn't seem to be a big deal (to me anyway).

I think the glass may play a major part in the overall outcome of a photo. Many of my shots are with the 28-135 IS (Canon). The 50 mm 1.8 is a great lens and here is a prime example of that wide open:.....

Wow... beautiful dog! Is it a husky? I picked the 50 1.8 as my first addon lens becaus of its lowlight capabilities, and the DOF is just plain fun to play around with. Plus it is only $70.

Thanks for the nice welcomes! I think she comes tomorrow, I am so excited I can barely hold it in! wings.gif By the way I do not think the noise is going to be too much of a problem for me. Not saying I can beat it, just that I rarely shoot at high ISO and compared to the S7000 I am sure the Canon blows it away at high ISO. I guess I should say that I am not concerned because my skills are not at a level to warrent worrying about noise. Going to check out your gallery now... heh
    edited October 5, 2006
    Just wanted to say that it came. First impressions are "WOW!"... and now they are "I have so much to learn!"
    edited October 6, 2006
    My first "published" photo with it. It is noisy, but lowlight + high ISO so I kind of expected it. I love the camera so far! Still lots of stuff to learn of course... it feels great in my hands albeit not quite as heavy as I would like. Definately going to get a vertical grip eventually. Pretty easy to hold steady as it is a good size. Display is bright and I love the nifty feature where it turns off as you get close to the eye piece. Only gripe is the CF card slot, which seems to not pop my card out far enough. No problems with under exposure so far... thumb.gif

claus_001.jpg
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I'll be interested to hear how you like the camera as you use it more and more. Sometime next year I will be taking the same plunge, and the XTi is what I am currently leaning to-wards, but user opinions from sites such as this will definitely influence my decision!! Glad to hear you like ti so far, can't wait to see more pics from it!!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Figured, this may be a good place for me to introduce myself as well. I'm from NY and while I've always been into photography a bit, I'm just really jumping into the digital SLR world. I've been reading this forum since April when I bought my XT and recently decided to switch it out for an XTi and am pleased with the results. I like the controls a lot more and the black body look like it needs lotion after you handle it. Need some more practice with it but overall it's a step up in my opinion. Anyway I'm from NY and I have had a site here on smugmug for two months but I'll have delay linking it because the day I decide to start sharing it with friends, family, coworkers, etc... smugmug goes haywire...
    Enjoy the XTi, I know I am!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited October 9, 2006
    evoryware wrote:
    Figured, this may be a good place for me to introduce myself as well. I'm from NY and while I've always been into photography a bit, I'm just really jumping into the digital SLR world. I've been reading this forum since April when I bought my XT and recently decided to switch it out for an XTi and am pleased with the results. I like the controls a lot more and the black body look like it needs lotion after you handle it. Need some more practice with it but overall it's a step up in my opinion. Anyway I'm from NY and I have had a site here on smugmug for two months but I'll have delay linking it because the day I decide to start sharing it with friends, family, coworkers, etc... smugmug goes haywire...
    Enjoy the XTi, I know I am!

Welcome and glad to hear you are enjoying the XTi.

I am not sure but I seem to be having some under-exposure problems. Well not anymore, I don't know. Right now I am claiming user error, but it seems I need a very high ISO when indoors or else I will not be able to produce a decent image. It must be my unsteady hand though as I have never really done indoor shots before...

Anyways, I am definately enjoying the camera and have only taken it outdoors once! This upcoming saturday will be the real test though as I am taking it to NYC!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    Welcome and glad to hear you are enjoying the XTi.

I am not sure but I seem to be having some under-exposure problems. Well not anymore, I don't know. Right now I am claiming user error, but it seems I need a very high ISO when indoors or else I will not be able to produce a decent image. It must be my unsteady hand though as I have never really done indoor shots before...

Anyways, I am definately enjoying the camera and have only taken it outdoors once! This upcoming saturday will be the real test though as I am taking it to NYC!
    This may border on 'doh', but have you checked your aperture setting. Remember, with the nifty fifty, you can go all the way to f/1.8.

Next, check your shutter speed. With a 50mm, you should be able to hand hold at 1/100 and as slow as 1/30 if you're careful.

Between these two factors, you should be able to significantly reduce the required ISO.