Who's gonna be first?

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited October 5, 2006 in Cameras
To pony up the cash for the 50mm f1.2L??? Am I the only person who thinks this lens is reasonably priced and very useful?? I've seen plenty of people po-poo'ing this lens before it's release on price alone. I was one of the first to pony up for the 17-55 f2.8 IS, and after that purchase this new 50 seems perfectly reasonable...but I may be crazy. Ofcourse I will be selling my 85 f1.8 to offset the cost somewhat mostly because I find I do not have the time to USE this lens much on weddings, and when I do I double shoot everything to make sure I get something sharp and free of CA. I think the slightly shorter focal length, better CA control, and faster AF will really make this the usable pseudo-short tele prime I've coveted for my crop body camera. Don't get me wrong I LIKE the 85 f1.8 and the effect I can create with it, but at f1.8 it really isn't sharp enough for +11x14 enlargements, and the CA is evident up untill f3.5, whereas my 17-55 shows less CA at f2.8 and almost none at f3.5. I find that the working distance while nice for 3/4 length or head and shoulders is OK...it is really too long for full body. I love how the 85 renders people very slim, and compresses nicely but I think I'd rather use less foot zoom and almost as good compression. The other way I look at it is this...the 85 f1.8 is REALLY going to show its flaws if I step up to a FF camera, but the 50 f1.2 will still be a great standard prime. Ofcourse if I had a FF I'd want an 85 f1.2, but I had that kind of money the extra 2k+ probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. So whos with me?? I have a job at the beginning of December that could more than pay for this hot hunk of glass, screw Christmas presents!!

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    What are you looking for, our approval or someone to hold your hand while you jump off a cliff???? (just kidding!!!!!!!!!) I think you make a very good argument for the lens. You certainly know more about these lenses (and use them professionally) than some of us, including myself. If you feel so strongly and can afford it, then to me it is not a bad purchase. It sounds like you want it very badly.......and we ALL want a review on it! So we're with you 100 percent!!! I'm sure interested, but won't be buying any lenses for a little while after buying the 35mm! Go for it! wings.gif

Did you see all the new lenses Andy just bought????

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44106
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    One other reason I have been talking myself into it is that Shutterbug did a "What's in the celebrity pro wedding photog's bag" article. Most of the time I don't read photography magazines, I find their information either painfully obvious or outdated 2 months prior to their release date, but I was waiting for a prescription and picked it up. One of the 2 photogs featured who shoots Canon packs a 50mm f1.0. But when I consider for the same money (actually less) I could also have a 300mm f4 IS I have been coveting the 1.2 keeps getting pushed back onto a cooler burner. I would be interested to hear if Andy got to play with the 1.2 @ photokina, or if it is already in his new 'collection' :P
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    I would be interested to hear if Andy got to play with the 1.2 @ photokina, or if it is already in his new 'collection' :P
    I did - and in fact mounted it on my 5D, though they were adamant about not taking any shots with it. It felt nice. *Really* nice :D
    edited October 5, 2006
    So do you think the lens would increase your sales in larger portraits and eventually pay for itself??? Aside from just enjoying the quality of the lens, do you believe it can increase your profits?
    edited October 5, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    So do you think the lens would increase your sales in larger portraits and eventually pay for itself??? Aside from just enjoying the quality of the lens, do you believe it can increase your profits?

I don't really think in these terms...I'm more about satisfying my lust and obsession with having the MOST flexibility in my portraits and the confidence in my equipment to take chances and still produce excellent results. This was my reasoning behind purchasing the 17-55, the 17-85 was a good lens, but I had grown out of it and wanted to move beyond what I could do with it. I don't buy equipment just to have the newest most expensive toys. I really have to be at the point that I can utilize all of the benefits of the new equipment and be at a point where the OLD stuff is actually holding me back before I move up. I'm feeling that way now about the 85 f1.8...I will illustrate.

98267684-L.jpg

I shot this at one of my last weddings...85 f1.8 @ f1.8 sharpness is OK, love they way it is killin the background, but if I had ANY kind of direct sunlight I would have bad CA. Having a higher quality lens in this situation would yield a better result. This chancey kind of wide open shot is where I want my style to go, I think it is what will set me apart. So will it pay for itself? If it helps me to hone my technique and produce the kind of dynamic wow shots that get me booked..then yeah it will pay for itself.
    edited October 5, 2006
    I just bought myself a really nice birthday present this past month........I think this would make for a great Christmas present to yourself!!! rolleyes1.gif Happy Holidays!
    edited October 5, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    but if I had ANY kind of direct sunlight I would have bad CA.
    I dunno, I really, really respect the 85 1.8's ability in harsh bright light, with high contrast areas:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1134620 and look at the 100% crop - mind you, this was with the 1Ds Mark II.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    What are you looking for, our approval or someone to hold your hand while you jump off a cliff???? (just kidding!!!!!!!!!) I think you make a very good argument for the lens. You certainly know more about these lenses (and use them professionally) than some of us, including myself. If you feel so strongly and can afford it, then to me it is not a bad purchase. It sounds like you want it very badly.......and we ALL want a review on it! So we're with you 100 percent!!! I'm sure interested, but won't be buying any lenses for a little while after buying the 35mm! Go for it! wings.gif

Did you see all the new lenses Andy just bought????

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44106

OK so I'm late to this one...I think it's more like wanting company when making the leap.
    edited October 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I dunno, I really, really respect the 85 1.8's ability in harsh bright light, with high contrast areas:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1134620 and look at the 100% crop - mind you, this was with the 1Ds Mark II.

I do too (stopped down)...but what aperture was this at? No exif.
    edited October 5, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    I do too (stopped down)...but what aperture was this at? No exif.
    f/5.6