Options

Conservatory of Flowers at Night (Panorama)

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited December 16, 2004 in Landscapes
Wanting to test out my new tripod, my girlfriend went out for a few hours tonight. Our first stop was the conservatory of flowers.

Details on the shot:
-4 images stitched together.
-each image 20 second exposure @ f3.5
-Tamron 28-75 @ 46mm

Any comments, suggestions are welcome. I'm trying to nail this panorama & night photography.

12743251-L.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    Well...the colors on the web don't look anything like in photoshop. Maybe someone can help me here.

My workflow before I save as *.jpg & upload.

1.) convert to srgb
    2.) assign profile srgb
    3.) convert to 8bit
    4.) save & upload

This has never usually given me a problem until I noticed it tonight. My prints match my monitor, and I've never tried to calibrate either.

I'm running Mac OS 10.3 on a Powerbook incase that helps.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Yep...a better monitor. Nothing wrong with that shot thumb.gif Hell you do nice stuff.

Can you post a link to it in a bigger size so i can look ...almost a cartoon appearance to it?
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    great one dave ,it almost appears to be in miniature i really like that .i can not even find my camera at nite much less shot it ?clap.gif the city shot is also very good the d70 club looks like fun
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep...a better monitor. Nothing wrong with that shot thumb.gif Hell you do nice stuff.

Can you post a link to it in a bigger size so i can look ...almost a cartoon appearance to it?

Thanks gus. I think I have the color problem nailed. Once I do, I'll try and post a bigger size for you. This is the Smugmug -L size. If I put the original, people would be screaming. Its 13"x44" when printed :)

Dave
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 15, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Wanting to test out my new tripod, my girlfriend went out for a few hours tonight. Our first stop was the conservatory of flowers.

Details on the shot:
    -4 images stitched together.
    -each image 20 second exposure @ f3.5
    -Tamron 28-75 @ 46mm

Any comments, suggestions are welcome. I'm trying to nail this panorama & night photography.

12743251-L.jpg

Thanks for looking,
    Dave

Lovely image, dkapp. Same exposure for each frame - great even exposure.
    Did you try to pan around the nodal point of your lens or just from the camera tripod socket? You also made a comment about NOT focusing to infinity even for the pano of San Francisco - but I did not see any elaboration about how you handled focus.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lovely image, dkapp. Same exposure for each frame - great even exposure.
    Did you try to pan around the nodal point of your lens or just from the camera tripod socket? You also made a comment about NOT focusing to infinity even for the pano of San Francisco - but I did not see any elaboration about how you handled focus.

I'm not fancy enough to try and figure out the nodal point yet, I just used the tripod socket & flash shoe bubble leveler.

To get around my focusing issues, I have to manually focus just inside where the lens physically stops at infinity. This was tough on this image because you could barley see the building last night.

I'm putting together a panorama step-by-step as I go along. It seems I learn something every time I go out. After my next attempts this weekend, I will try and post something if any one is interested.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    great one dave ,it almost appears to be in miniature i really like that .i can not even find my camera at nite much less shot it ?clap.gif the city shot is also very good the d70 club looks like fun

Thanks jwear! I'm having a blast with panoramas. It just works out that most of my free time is at night.

The local photo club is great. A real friendly group of people. If you ever make it up this way, lets get together for some photos.

Later,
    Dave
  • Options
    obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm not fancy enough to try and figure out the nodal point yet, I just used the tripod socket & flash shoe bubble leveler.

Dave, try to focus on the hyperfocal distance, works like a charm.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    obelix wrote:
    Dave, try to focus on the hyperfocal distance, works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip! I never even thought about that. I know one of my eBooks came with a chart. I'll have to print it out for my lenses & put it in my bag.

You are a life saver. I spent sooo much time making sure my focus was correct I just about went crazy!
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    That's just beautiful, Dave. I've been staring at the O image for the last few minutes. Fishwife saw it over my shoulder and suggested we take a field trip there during the break (The kids and I get two weeks off starting Sat). I haven't been there since before the earthquake.

Well done!
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    That's just beautiful, Dave. I've been staring at the O image for the last few minutes. Fishwife saw it over my shoulder and suggested we take a field trip there during the break (The kids and I get two weeks off starting Sat). I haven't been there since before the earthquake.

Well done!

DOH! I forgot to turn off the originals. Thanks for the heads up, but I'm sorry to take it away. This has to be one of my favorite images, and I'd hate for some creep to steal it off my site and sell it.

If you get some free time and want to take some pics, drop me a line. I'm free the next two weeks if you need a tour guide :)

Maybe we all can get together next time Andy is in the area. It seems he has been making more trips out here recently. It would be nice to meet a few people in person, get some good food and take a few pics while we're at it.

Dave
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    DOH! I forgot to turn off the originals. Thanks for the heads up, but I'm sorry to take it away. This has to be one of my favorite images, and I'd hate for some creep to steal it off my site and sell it.
    Too late. I already got 15 bucks for it. :D

Seriously...do you think that's a real risk? I can understand the pros wanting to watermark their stuff, since it puts food on the table (and Waldorf Suites around them in the case of one particular grinner).
    If you get some free time and want to take some pics, drop me a line. I'm free the next two weeks if you need a tour guide :)
    Cool. Got a motorcycle?

Has anybody ever said you resemble Charlie Brown? (not the cartoon, the advrider...ask waxy).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Maybe we all can get together next time Andy is in the area.
    Definitely pull me and the rest of the bay area gang into this, we would love to hang out :)
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks for the tip! I never even thought about that. I know one of my eBooks came with a chart. I'll have to print it out for my lenses & put it in my bag.

You are a life saver. I spent sooo much time making sure my focus was correct I just about went crazy!
    Thom Hogan's ebook. I have it memorized for the kit lens at f/8 :) for 18mm, 24mm, 50mm etc, I stick to these. What sucks with the new nikkor lenses is the absence of the scale. The scale goes from 9 ft to infinity just like that :(.

So, for 35 feet, I usually guess the distance on the scale or try to focus on an object at that distance, usually works.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    obelix wrote:
    Thom Hogan's ebook. I have it memorized for the kit lens at f/8 :) for 18mm, 24mm, 50mm etc, I stick to these. What sucks with the new nikkor lenses is the absence of the scale. The scale goes from 9 ft to infinity just like that :(.

So, for 35 feet, I usually guess the distance on the scale or try to focus on an object at that distance, usually works.

At our next outing I may have you give me a quick course on hyperfocal distances and how it works. I'm looking at the chart now & just plugging in numbers...not sure what I need to do.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    obelix wrote:
    Definitely pull me and the rest of the bay area gang into this, we would love to hang out :)

I love to shoot in groups, so you can bet I'd post it on our group board. We have a lot to learn, and most can be from each other. The group has been a great resource for me.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    Some people wanted a larger image, so here it is. The image is about 1mb, so I will leave it as a link and save some bandwidth.

http://dkapp.smugmug.com/photos/12759351-O-1.jpg

Dave