Options

Sedona, AZ

SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited April 30, 2007 in Journeys
I went out to AZ this past weekend to get a lay of the land and ended up going north to Sedona, which is about 2 hours north of Phoenix and I gotta say its a pretty nice drive with all the mountains and stuff, especially for a midwestern boy thats never been out west before.
I took a ton of pictures of the red rocks, unfortunately, the pictures don't do the area justice.
99941444-M.jpg

I took a helicopter tour of the area, which these next pictures are from. They look a bit washed out from the glare on the glass of the heli.
99941488-M.jpg

99941510-M.jpg

in the bottom of this picture you can see a bunch of burnt trees from a forest fire. The guide told us that if fires are started by nature, they burn on their own and the park officials wait for nature to put them out unless they get to the point where they could endanger people. This was in the middle of nowhere, so the fire raged for awhile.
99941720-M.jpg

see, there is green in the desert, actually, Sedona was just getting over their rainy season, so thats why there's so much green.
99944428-M.jpg

this picture was taken right before the guide told us that helicopters can stop on a dime and turn on one too...and then he showed us...which made my belly go up, and then down, but hot damn was it awesome!
99944473-M.jpg

there were names for all of these, but I forgot...
99944648-M.jpg

I was told Sharon Stone, Clint Eastwood, and bunch of other famous people live down there, but I dunno where?
99944661-M.jpg

After the heli tour, we went on a jeep tour which allowed us to get a bit more up close and personal with the vegitation...
99945031-M.jpg

Our jeep guide, Doc, insisted that we eat one of the pears on the cactus, he cleaned all the spikes off of it and then cut it so we could eat it. He told us not to eat the skin on the outside, but the inside of the thing was so full of seeds it was hard to get a bite in edge wise. I did suck some juice out and took little bites, and got to spit seeds all over tho. And ya know, the thing isn't that bad.
99944987-M.jpg

right next to the cactus were these yellow berries...we were told not to eat these cuz they're highly poisonous and will kill you if you eat just a few...never got a picture of those...

At the end of the tour, Doc showed us a great lookout that he guarenteed would be empty for the sunset...he was right, I tipped him well.
99945284-M.jpg

And the sun goes down, unfortunately clouds moved in about 30 minutes before sunset, and killed all the good light. So I turned around and got what I could.
99945379-M.jpg

and if you're interested, there's more pictures here...
http://speshuled.smugmug.com/gallery/1965033
bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

Comments

• Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Those helicopter flights are cool!

Did you manage to get anything of the sunset?
  • Options
    sk8rdi16sk8rdi16 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2007
    I LOVE Sedona! I had some great times there a couple of years ago. Thanks for the memories! There are some of the best swimming holes just outside of town!