Rounding the Corner ... Into Fall

gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited October 10, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thank you all for the help so far.

Comments

• judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    I don't think it is too boring, but I also don't think the corner is the focal point of the picture.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    I get what your saying w/ this shot.
    I don't feel this does a good job capturing the essence of "corner" though.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 5, 2006
    i think it is great.. i had a similar vision in my head.. with the trees trying to turn the corner to fall .. great location as well looks peaceful..
  • gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    judyfuess wrote:
    I don't think it is too boring, but I also don't think the corner is the focal point of the picture.
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for your comment on my picture. I wondered about the shot because it is definitely not an Indy Car ripping through a chicane. And you are right; the corner in the road is not the focal point.[/FONT]
    edited October 5, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I get what your saying w/ this shot.
    I don't feel this does a good job capturing the essence of "corner" though.
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] Thanks for your comments. I’m glad you “get it.”

Negative comments are welcome; however, their reasons need to be explained. Your comment about not capturing the essence of “corner” does not help me in any way. In fact, without explanation, it jeopardizes my potential entry in the eyes of the judges.

You might have explained how the change from summer to fall is not a change in direction. It may not be for you, but I am sure for many people it signals a significant change in course. Or you could have told me how the photo itself is flawed. I know I need help in that department.

My failing may be that I try not to be too obvious and like to provoke at least a little thought.

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    gneufeld wrote:
    Do you think this is too boring for the challenge?

Here's a thought, try cropping the image down a bit to help the road become more of the focus of the image. If done in the right spot, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 way down, you still have the fall foliage but the road is more apparent. This is a nice image however, it has potential. I'm a sucker for shots like this, I have a ton in my photo collection.:D - Dizzy
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Leaving aside the cropping issue, is the image straight? It seems to be leaning right to me. Is this better?

attachment2.jpg
    edited October 6, 2006
    Dizzy wrote:
    Here's a thought, try cropping the image down a bit to help the road become more of the focus of the image. If done in the right spot, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 way down, you still have the fall foliage but the road is more apparent. This is a nice image however, it has potential. I'm a sucker for shots like this, I have a ton in my photo collection.:D - Dizzy
    Thanks for your message and suggestions. I cropped it down and added a bit to the bottom that I had cropped off originally. One thing that bothers me is that I lose the large western larch trees in the background. Maybe no one else would even notice them.

Thanks again.
    edited October 6, 2006
    Leaving aside the cropping issue, is the image straight? It seems to be leaning right to me. Is this better?

attachment2.jpg
    You could be right. If you use the background trees as a reference it does appear slightly off. I rotated the original 2 degrees ccw.

Thanks
    edited October 6, 2006
    i think it is great.. i had a similar vision in my head.. with the trees trying to turn the corner to fall .. great location as well looks peaceful..
    It is very peaceful. I saw one vehicle and one porcupine in 4 hours.

Thanks
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 6, 2006
    A friend of mine shot this today. Same idea you had but I it's a much more powerful image. Hope it helps. Love BC, we head up to Nelson every Feb. My avatar pic is from a DEEP day at Retallack a few years back. Being up there you should be able to find another pretty corner to shoot. Good luck.

261894638_5256026a05_b.jpg
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I like the cropped version and the original. THe main thing I would to do either one would be make it pop a little more, maybe bump up the saturation a little bit to, make those yellows of teh trees stand out a little more.

Just my two cents, but over all I really like the shot!clap.gif
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I like the way you cropped it...It has a better feel of 'corner'. Now, as someone else mentioned, if you bumped up the color a bit in the trees that should be all you need to do as far as tweeking. Nice Job! - Dizzy
    edited October 6, 2006
    Thank you to all. I'll work on it using the help you have provided. A week later and the rich colours would have been there naturally.

I don't say this to solicit a bunch of birthday wishes, but I am 52 today and I guess in keeping with the theme, one could say that "on my road of life the season is changing and the leaves are beginning to turn." Well at least my hair is.

Thanks again
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    gneufeld wrote:
    Thank you to all. I'll work on it using the help you have provided. A week later and the rich colours would have been there naturally.

I don't say this to sollicite a bunch of birthday wishes, but I am 52 today and I guess in keeping with the theme, one could say that "on my road of life the season is changing and the leaves are beginning to turn." Well at least my hair is.

Thanks again

Lol, too bad we can't just bump up the saturation a little when the hair starts to change, right? thumb.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Happy Birthday!!
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    The cropped version is stronger and I agree with the saturation.
    edited October 7, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Lol, too bad we can't just bump up the saturation a little when the hair starts to change, right? thumb.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Happy Birthday!!

Thanks.

I'm OK with the colour now. I'm just thankful the leaves aren't falling yet.:D
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    The original looks best to me, I like the treetops and the longer curve. lt could be my screen, but I would use curves to deepen the colors.
    edited October 10, 2006
    Sandy wrote:
    The original looks best to me, I like the treetops and the longer curve. lt could be my screen, but I would use curves to deepen the colors.
    I am still leaning toward the original myself, but with more colour. I may change my entry yet.

Thanks for your input.
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    I agree with the more saturation comments. Too bad there wasn't a tree in there with some red leaves on it to really make it stand out.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    edited October 10, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    I agree with the more saturation comments. Too bad there wasn't a tree in there with some red leaves on it to really make it stand out.

My theme is going to be "rounding the corner into fall on the road of life at age 52." Red leaves might indicate rounding into winter. Please don't tell me I'm approching winter already. rolleyes1.gif

I agree more colour would make it stand out, but I'll have to work with what I've got. Looking at the other entries, I don't have a snowballs chance in any season of getting to the top ten.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the help