edited December 17, 2004 in Wildlife
One of the Locals

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    mikerad53 wrote:
    One of the Locals
    Hi Mike wave.gif I have a coopers hawk that comes to my courtyard and grabs my doves and flies away with them!!!!!!!ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    mikerad53mikerad53 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Mike wave.gif I have a coopers hawk that comes to my courtyard and grabs my doves and flies away with them!!!!!!!ne_nau.gif
    Hi Lynn...............Yeah, I guess doves are a delicacy for these predators. Too bad they don't have the same affinity for crows, grackles, or pigeons!
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    very good shot . I know that owls will eat pigens, i wish they were hungery all the time
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Cool shot. I took this last spring. Is it the same kind of hawk?
    2821641-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Here is one that is almost really cool.
    The hawk was collecting sticks off of the tree limbs for its nest. Male or female? As you can tell I'm not really a bird watcher.

12771274-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    Coopers vs Red Tail
    Not sure, Thomas. I believe both species are very similiar.I believe the back of the tail really gives it away. Furthermore, I am not sure if you snapped Mommy or Daddy as is the case with me. Great shots!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    mikerad53 wrote:
    Hi Lynn...............Yeah, I guess doves are a delicacy for these predators. Too bad they don't have the same affinity for crows, grackles, or pigeons!
    No No... I love my crows... phew.. I never even thought they may take THEM!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    No No... I love my crows... phew.. I never even thought they may take THEM!rolleyes1.gif

Then you must not have very many crows - they gather in trees here in the winter by the hundreds - you cannot walk under the tree without getting soiled. I'd trade them for a few owls anyday!! :D
    I'll try to grab a frame of what a tree looks like covered with crows for you, Lynn. :cry
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    Very nice Mike thumb.gif It looks like you got pretty close to him too. It kind of sux that they eat those cute little cooing doves and not those obnoxious crows :cry I'm betting that nothing eats crow (cept for some humans :lol ) because they probably taste terrible ....lol They sure do make a mess and a racket :gun2

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    1st Hawks Mate
    This is mate of the prior one I posted. He or she is on an old utility pole on some RR tracks with the Ohio River in the background.