Options

DEAL: SanDisk Ultra II 2GB CompactFlash Card (CF)

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited October 27, 2006 in Flea Market
Now available at Costco for $70.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,906 moderator
    edited October 7, 2006
    Nice find!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Or samsclub.com has lexar platinum II for $66
  • Options
    macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    let down
    handlebar wrote:
    Or samsclub.com has lexar platinum II for $66

A Lexar card has let me down twice!
    Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
    www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    Sorry to hear that I unfortunatly do not take as many photographs as the others here and possible it is the volume you put through the card but have had mine for 6 months and no problems yet.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    handlebar wrote:
    Sorry to hear that I unfortunatly do not take as many photographs as the others here and possible it is the volume you put through the card but have had mine for 6 months and no problems yet.
    I recon my 2 x 1 gig lexars would have to be approaching several hundred fills each. That & the washing machine hasnt killed either of them .. i want more.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2006
    I have three of the one gig lexars that I bought from walmart they clearanced them for $7 not the hight speen but for that price couldn't say no and they have been through a lot with no problems. They clearanced them to bring in the high speed 2gb I think.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    macmac wrote:

I hear ya on Lexar...I have a 1 gig Sam's purchased Lexar a 1 gig Sandisk Ultra II and 2 nonames...the Lexar is THE only one that gives file corruptions.
    Never been dropped, never been washed, just used normally for about 75 weddings then it started corrupting. No I use it only as a backup. Not to say all Lexar is bad...but when Mal-Wart gets involved in telling companies what they need to make to sell for x price in x volume...quality suffers. Look at tires, look at TV's, look at bicycles, in these cases 10-15% cheaper is not better.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    ...but when Mal-Wart gets involved in telling companies what they need to make to sell for x price in x volume...quality suffers.

So are all Lexar cards now tied in like this with Walmart ?
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    gus wrote:
    So are all Lexar cards now tied in like this with Walmart ?

I'm not positive about cards...but this is how it works with tires.

Walmart says to Cooper/BF Good/Yokahama take your pick. "We want to sell a tire with your name on it, this is the quantity (huge) we want, and this is what we want to pay for it." Now the company is left with some choices...

1. Design a tire which meets DOT standards, and Walmart's price, and skimp on compound, steel belting, tread depth and mileage rating to make a huge chunk of money on a high volume sale...

or

2. Not sacrifice quality and manufacture, and not sell tires to walmart/sams/target/bixbox land, and keep a reputation for quality.

Ever seen an Alpine or Blau stereo in a bigbox store? Ever find a Canondale or Bianchi bicycle in a Dicks or Sports Authority? Nope.

These companies will not sacrifice their standards for the sake of selling in high volume to big box stores. Would I say that a 1 gig low end card sold at Walmart is a different card than a low end 1 gig card sold at bestbuy or circuit city?? Probably not. But that low end one gig card was produced and spec'ed for a buyer who sells exactly what they want, for the price they demand or they don't sell at all.
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2006
    Lexar merged with micron and with the merger had announced to open 11,000 jobs in the US walmarts commitment to buying products that promote jobs in the US states that if a competiter can make a product that is within 10% of the cost of the competitor that they will buy it from the us firm. Hence the reason that they have shifted heavily from the sandisk ultraII. However, the sandisk ultra II is the same sandisk that you would buy from b&h there is no difference. The same with the canon digital rebel that I purchased. I got the xt for $630 in may (body only) and $100 rebate. For certain things walmart has asked companies to re-evaluate the product and the way the product is manufactured in order to bring the cost down. But in many ways within the last 2 years walmart has made a concerted effort to increase the quality of the products that they sell. So now they sell a lowline, midline and highline. ie. Ilo tvs, RCA tvs, then sony, phillips etc...
    Sorry for the long explanation. I agree with blur blur to an extent when it comes to bikes a mongoose does not compare to canondale but you have to realize that the joe shmo at walmart did not put your canon digital camera together. When you purchase a bike you purchase the expertise of the person assembling that bicycle. That and I live in Idaho the only other place to purchase cameras is Idaho camera maybe 1,000 square feet and every time I touch a camera they expect you to buy it.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Transcend's 2GB 133x for $55 dollars at Frys (outpost.com)! Gone through thousands and thousands of images still hasnt let me down!
  • Options
    mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    I love my Lexar
    macmac wrote:

I have been using a lexar 1g card for just about 3 years and never a failure. I don't know how I compare to you but I have shot about 6000 photos in that time. I admit that I had to use another card at a wedding as I used up the 1g. Oh, yeah, that 6000 doesn't include some of the ones I deleted. I'd definitely buy another Lexar.

Michael :D
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    The only cards I will ever use:

Transcend 4GB for $87.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208049