Child Portrait package

Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
edited October 10, 2006 in People
I'm photographing my first outdoor portrait package of a child this coming weekend. Looking for any feedback at all relative to tips and tricks, types of shots to take, etc. I'll be photographing a 12 year old girl on an Island off the coast of New England. Should be a lot of great beach and coastal areas to shoot at, as well as a park. I'm hoping this is the right forum to inquire about this.

If anyone has examples of galleries with these types of shots, I wouldn't mind looking at some of your work!

Thanks
Brett
My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4

Comments

• noniladynonilady Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    hi there,

last year i took photos of my niece near a beach in penang, malaysia. that time i havent bought dslr yet so i shot using canon powershot a 620 and kodak z740,,,check out the gallery, i hope some of the images give you some ideas of composition, if not much, at least ....:):

http://photowardrobe.smugmug.com/gallery/1203266

best of luck!
    regards
    Nonilady
    long way to go but getting there:D:ivar:lynnma
    edited October 4, 2006
    nonilady wrote:
    hi there,

last year i took photos of my niece near a beach in penang, malaysia. that time i havent bought dslr yet so i shot using canon powershot a 620 and kodak z740,,,check out the gallery, i hope some of the images give you some ideas of composition, if not much, at least ....:):

http://photowardrobe.smugmug.com/gallery/1203266

best of luck!
    regards

sorry i forgot to mention that my niece was only 2 yrs old,,1drink.gif
    Nonilady
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    Very nice gallery. Great pic's. clap.gifclap.gif
    Bob
    edited October 4, 2006
    KA0TVO wrote:
    Very nice gallery. Great pic's. clap.gifclap.gif

cheers bob! thanks for looking and btw,,i checked your site as well,,,i luv your fisheye showcase..stunning...bowdown.gif
    Nonilady
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 4, 2006
    Brett,

"Beach and coastal areas" could be a problem with hard light. Plan on fill flash and maybe some reflectors too.

A few props or interesting image elements like a large piece of driftwood offer a contrast in texture.

A girlish umbrella can add interest and shade. Watch the color or position it behind the girl to avoid unwanted color cast.

Plan a few simple wardrobe changes. Adding a sweater or jacket or changing the hair can add new interest or accent a positive element.

Find out, in advance, what "her" interests are, and research before-hand. If she has an interst in "Backstreet Boys", be prepared to know a bit about their albums.

Hopefully (or not), her mother will be attending and helping. You might start the shoot with both of them, to make the girl at ease. It shouldn't be long before she's ready for "her" shots (if like my daughters.)

Try to shoot at "her" level, maybe slightly below. If you see much nostril, that's usually way too low. It may be more comfortable for you to shoot down, but avoid it as it yields uninteresting shots, unless done to the extreme for an interesting angle.

Remember that this is a "young lady" rather than a small child, so her poses may be more mimicking adult poses than child. Go with what seems natural and normal for her.

Here are some beach and water shots (in addition to the great images by nonilady):

http://www.imagesource.com/search/searchresults.aspx?action=8&productId=273860

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Brett,

"Beach and coastal areas" could be a problem with hard light. Plan on fill flash and maybe some reflectors too.

A few props or interesting image elements like a large piece of driftwood offer a contrast in texture.

A girlish umbrella can add interest and shade. Watch the color or position it behind the girl to avoid unwanted color cast.

Plan a few simple wardrobe changes. Adding a sweater or jacket or changing the hair can add new interest or accent a positive element.

Find out, in advance, what "her" interests are, and research before-hand. If she has an interst in "Backstreet Boys", be prepared to know a bit about their albums.

Hopefully (or not), her mother will be attending and helping. You might start the shoot with both of them, to make the girl at ease. It shouldn't be long before she's ready for "her" shots (if like my daughters.)

Try to shoot at "her" level, maybe slightly below. If you see much nostril, that's usually way too low. It may be more comfortable for you to shoot down, but avoid it as it yields uninteresting shots, unless done to the extreme for an interesting angle.

Remember that this is a "young lady" rather than a small child, so her poses may be more mimicking adult poses than child. Go with what seems natural and normal for her.

Here are some beach and water shots (in addition to the great images by nonilady):

http://www.imagesource.com/search/searchresults.aspx?action=8&productId=273860

ziggy53

Thanks Ziggy... just the kind of info I was looking for.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
    edited October 9, 2006
    Once again... thanks for the information. I am pleased with the results of the shoot. I used quite a few of the suggestions that I received. Here is one example:

101133975-L.jpg

The rest can be found at:

http://www.dramatapix.com/gallery/1981867

if anyone is interested.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    You got some cute poses, I like the ones on rocks where she's leaning on her forearms. I can see the lighting was tough creating lots of shadows and often putting her eyes in the shadow. What time of day were you shooting? I have a similar shoot coming up if my niece ever gets over the flu. Did you use any flash or reflector at all?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Went to your web-site. You've got a lot of nice shots there. My favorite is probably this one

101088093-M.jpg

mostly because I'm an old softy for anything that promotes family.

Shooting at high-noon is really rough (yeah, I looked at the exif data on some of the shots) and I think you did pretty good controlling the strong shadows. Fill flash or help with a reflecter would have made all the difference in the world.

I've found that is usually works better to shoot during the first couple of hours in the morning or the last couple of hours in the evening and prefer the evening as that light seems to have an intangible power that I don't find in the morning light. But, morning light can be, for lack of a better term, crisper (does that make any sense at all ne_nau.gif ).
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Guess my morning coffee hasn't "kicked in" yet....forgot I could look at the exif, Scott!!! rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 9, 2006
    Went to your web-site. You've got a lot of nice shots there. My favorite is probably this one

101088093-M.jpg

mostly because I'm an old softy for anything that promotes family.

Shooting at high-noon is really rough (yeah, I looked at the exif data on some of the shots) and I think you did pretty good controlling the strong shadows. Fill flash or help with a reflecter would have made all the difference in the world.

I've found that is usually works better to shoot during the first couple of hours in the morning or the last couple of hours in the evening and prefer the evening as that light seems to have an intangible power that I don't find in the morning light. But, morning light can be, for lack of a better term, crisper (does that make any sense at all ne_nau.gif ).

Makes total sense to me. I actually got there very early in the morning (well relatively for me on a Sunday Laughing.gif), however I spent a bit of time with the family getting to know them and talking about our common interest in Theatre, etc. By the time we got around to going outside it was 11am or later!

I took some pictures of my daughter who was with me, and the late afternoon pictures came out much better.

I did use some fill flash for some of the portrait headshots, but not for the rest (should have). I had to do quite a bit of post-processing in Aperture to get the shadows out as much as I did. Lastly, I think the shadows help some in this particular instance. The young girl model has a lazy eye, and the shadow tended to hide this some.

Thanks for the feedback and for your comments.

Brett
    edited October 10, 2006
    Nonilady
    edited October 10, 2006
    nonilady wrote:

Thank you...

Here is an example of one that I took of my daughter later in the afternoon. The lighting was much better as you can see.

101342994-L.jpg
    edited October 10, 2006
    that is a nice shot, i like the composition

thanks for sharing:D
    Nonilady