75-kelidescope of corners

judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Do you think either of these go with the theme? Which do you think is better?

Kelidescope of corners
Pic 1
100120501-L.jpg

Pic2
100120448-L.jpg

Picture one

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 5, 2006
    While there are corners in each pic, I'm not particualrly drawn to either one. There is no context to interest me. They are simply abstract shapes that seem to have been cropped awkwardly. I think there is potential in the idea, perhaps find a way to show some of the actual kaleidscope in the shot, maybe even an arm holding the kaleidoscope. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you might come up with.
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    I like the second one better, the coloring is wonderful and subtle. I am amazed by the fact that you got this to work, I've played with this type of thing before and got frustrated by the fact it didn't work the way I thought it should and gave up.

Now, I love abstracts, but I'm not sure if these fit the category. When I hear the word 'corner' this isn't the first thing to come to mind, eventhough there are corners aplenty in the images. Truth's recommendation of trying to include the 'scope (it's been a long day not going to try to spell the word:D ) may have merit, I'm not sure what else you can do to them for the category.

As images, these are amazing and I'd love to know how you achieved them.:D - Dizzy
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    truth wrote:
    While there are corners in each pic, I'm not particualrly drawn to either one. There is no context to interest me. They are simply abstract shapes that seem to have been cropped awkwardly. I think there is potential in the idea, perhaps find a way to show some of the actual kaleidscope in the shot, maybe even an arm holding the kaleidoscope. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you might come up with.

I was wondering how people would think. You are right - they are pretty abstract, and I could definately do a better cropping job. Good idea about the kaleidescope - I will see what I can do there headscratch.gif
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Dizzy wrote:
    I like the second one better, the coloring is wonderful and subtle. I am amazed by the fact that you got this to work, I've played with this type of thing before and got frustrated by the fact it didn't work the way I thought it should and gave up.

Now, I love abstracts, but I'm not sure if these fit the category. When I hear the word 'corner' this isn't the first thing to come to mind, eventhough there are corners aplenty in the images. Truth's recommendation of trying to include the 'scope (it's been a long day not going to try to spell the word:D ) may have merit, I'm not sure what else you can do to them for the category.

As images, these are amazing and I'd love to know how you achieved them.:D - Dizzy

Hi Dizzy,
    Thanks for the comments - I thought it was a stretch - I like to try to do something that is non-intuitive sometimes, though they do not always work out. I was going to try Truth's suggestion this week to see if having the kaleidescope in the picture would help.

To take them, I set my camera in a close up mode and put it directly up to the kaleidescope (I had them both on a table because any movement got a blurry picture). To get enough light, I had a flashlight shining up on the otherside. And that is it - It was a fun experiment :)

-Judy
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    judyfuess wrote:
    To get enough light, I had a flashlight shining up on the otherside. And that is it - It was a fun experiment :)

-Judy

Try wrapping the end where the kaleidescope and the light meet w/ foil.
    This will concentrate the light to where you want it to be.
    This way you can also take a much longer exposure in a "black" environment and not worry about over saturation w/ ambient light.
    This will really get those colors to pop!
    Just a thought.