from uganda

ellykoggleellykoggle Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 5, 2006 in People
Would love to hear any suggestions or comments on these :)

lost in the moment...

96494628-M.jpg

hope and compassion - a sunflower project benefiting widows of AIDS

98632453-M.jpg

a youngster on the way to school

98638119-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    These are very nice. I would love to travel for such photographic opportunities, but $$ limit that as a possibilty.

My thoughts:

#1 and #3 - With their skin so dark you have a huge challenge retaining detail in the shadows. Maybe using some sort of fill light (flash, reflector) would improve things.

#2 - It appears on my monitor at work (which is NOT calibrated) that the sky is completely blown. I believe the strength of this photo could have been improved had the man been moved to one side or the other of the photograph. Arguments can be made, I believe, for either side for different effects. As is, he is too centered for my taste.
  • ellykoggleellykoggle Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2006
    These are very nice. I would love to travel for such photographic opportunities, but $$ limit that as a possibilty.

My thoughts:

#1 and #3 - With their skin so dark you have a huge challenge retaining detail in the shadows. Maybe using some sort of fill light (flash, reflector) would improve things.

#2 - It appears on my monitor at work (which is NOT calibrated) that the sky is completely blown. I believe the strength of this photo could have been improved had the man been moved to one side or the other of the photograph. Arguments can be made, I believe, for either side for different effects. As is, he is too centered for my taste.

Thank you Scott for your comments. I really appreciate them :)

My inexperience is going to show .. I don't know what a fill light is or how I would use that in conjunction with my digital camera (feeling like an ejit here lol). But yea, that was my biggest challenge in photographing some of the children etc... They're features were so beautiful but I had a hard time capturing them as well as I would have liked, to do justice.

On the second one it was a gray cloudy afternoon. In the original photo (uncropped) the gentleman was barely off to one side, with the sunflowers stretching further out on both sides. I see what you mean with having him stand to one side of the other.

Thanks so much for your thoughts again. You've got me thinking way beyond the point and click picturing taking I've always done.

I hear you, the $$ are def a consideration for us too. Our group spent 14 months fund raising before we went or I doubt any of us would have been able to afford the cost. Would love to go back and stay longer but I have a feeling it's going to be awhile.

Cheers,

Kel
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    ellykoggle wrote:
    I don't know what a fill light is or how I would use that in conjunction with my digital camera (feeling like an ejit here lol).
    Hi Kel, fill flash is usually used in daylight to fill in some of the shadows caused by sunlight. Almost every digital camera I've used can do this, but you may have to read the manual.
    ellykoggle wrote:
    I hear you, the $$ are def a consideration for us too. Our group spent 14 months fund raising before we went or I doubt any of us would have been able to afford the cost. Would love to go back and stay longer but I have a feeling it's going to be awhile.
    Whether technically correct or not, I like all three of these pictures. But I am a sucker for Africa. :D What an incredible trip. I also hope to get back some day....
    Chris