Mid-Day @ Mid-Ohio (part 1)

F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited October 6, 2006 in Sports
[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey Sharpshooters,

There have been some beautiful racing images from last weekend's championship at Mid-Ohio posted here lately...so I thought I would offer up some different perspectives smiley.gif

Specs: All full frame using either a 1DS MarkII or 1D MarkII with a 400 2.8 and either a 2X or 1.4X tele. Enjoy and critique at will!

[/FONT]

Guess Who??
100220132-L.jpg

Eric
100220116-L.jpg

Yamaha-Pow-Wow (Sigma 12-24mm)
100220245-L.jpg

Tommy Hayden conducting business
100220231-L.jpg
I'll put a few more in part 2 to help the dial-ups!

I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them.
Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
www.christophersedgwick.com

Comments

• zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    1st and 3rd shots are really cool!
  • LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Loved the first two. Great portrait shots, especially #1.

Lee
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    LilleG and Zed,

Thank you for your comments...the candids are actually a lot of fun and can be challenging in their own way too!
    Cheers,

• galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    The super shallow depth of field on the #1 bill cap is remarkable.

I like the almost straight-down perspective of the overhead and the symmetry of their circular gathering.

Who are you shooting for?
    edited October 6, 2006
    Saxon wrote:
    The super shallow depth of field on the #1 bill cap is remarkable.
    I like the almost straight-down perspective of the overhead and the symmetry of their circular gathering.
    Who are you shooting for?
    Thank you Shaun!
    I've just started in motorsports and am trying to focus my efforts on bikes. Currently I'm not shooting for anyone specific but I am trying to freelance my work with the major publications.
    Cheers,

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    F45 wrote:
    [FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey Sharpshooters,

There have been some beautiful racing images from last weekend's championship at Mid-Ohio posted here lately...so I thought I would offer up some different perspectives smiley.gif

Specs: All full frame using either a 1DS MarkII or 1D MarkII with a 400 2.8 and either a 2X or 1.4X tele. Enjoy and critique at will!
    [/FONT]
    Guess Who??
    Eric
    Yamaha-Pow-Wow (Sigma 12-24mm)
    Tommy Hayden conducting business

I'll put a few more in part 2 to help the dial-ups!
    I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them.

Hi There, I love the whole series clap.gif
    The portrait is my favourite , nice use of DOF on the cap shot too thumb.gif
    You had a very successful day by the looks of these images.
    Thanks for sharing......... Skippy (Australia)

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Great stuff here, Chris!clap.gif

If I may ask, how do you set up an overhead shot like this?

100220245-L.jpg

I'd like to try something like this with my son's soccer team (7 year olds). I'll have to use my 17-40 f/4, but it could still be cool.

Unless you were in the rafters I'm assuming you used a timer mode with the camera on the end of a monopod? For focus though, since the camera (MKIIN) does it's autofocus when you click the shutter and not when it takes the picture, do you just guesstimate the proper focus and then go for a medium aperture to get a little extra DOF in there? I guess you may as well go for manual focus at that point...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Great work there at Mid-Ohio. Wish I could have joined you!

-Alan B.
    edited October 6, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi There, I love the whole series clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing......... Skippy (Australia) [/left]
    [/center]
    My pleasure...and thanks for the applause Skippy!
    The best part about participating in these forums is the chance to share your work and comments with others!
    Daddio wrote:
    Unless you were in the rafters I'm assuming you used a timer mode with the camera on the end of a monopod? For focus though, since the camera (MKIIN) does it's autofocus when you click the shutter and not when it takes the picture, do you just guesstimate the proper focus and then go for a medium aperture to get a little extra DOF in there? I guess you may as well go for manual focus at that point...
    There are probably many ways to do something like this Daddio. I setup remotes, hold a monopod overhead or whatever it takes to be different than the next guy.
    A few things to remember are: 1) wide angle lens so you can get the depth you need 2) manual focus using your lens' hyperfocal planes on the lens barrel and set to the nearest distance you think you'll need in focus 3) use a flash as any odd angles or awkward balancing will cause unsteadiness and the flash can keep your shutter speed a little higher which will increase the odds of keeping things sharp.

Post some shots when you get your system worked out. Good luck thumb.gif
    Cheers,