Amanda - privacy in the CBD

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in People
Amanda-IMG_7442.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=fd64812f2647a4956670beceff72c634
This is Amanda. Do I know her? No, we’ve never met. And yet I know her name and I know where she works all from a little tag she so proudly parades around the Sydney CBD. Thousands of city workers do exactly the same every day.

PS: this was not a posed photograph.

Following Shay's comment here as well as simialr comments on another forum I have decided to show an alternative framing of Amanda scene:
Amanda-2-IMG_7442.jpg

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I have looked at this twice, and while it is a pleasant photo, the man walking steals the show visually regardless of the photos title. Too much subject conflict. I leave the photo unsatisfied because of that I believe. If he were not there, smaller, more blurred, and/or wearing darker clothing, it would have helped. But with him there, it ruins it for me.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Shay,
    I think this is first time you have placed a comment against my photo.

The framing here is quite difficult and I guess there is no right and wrong. It is all down to perception. However I have done another cut of this image based upon your suggestion.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Hi, Ted
    I think this is a good photo of Amanda. I also went to your web site and it looks even better there. I would like to see more detail in her face but, maybe next time. Did you shoot this in B&W or convert if in photoshop?
    I have been thinking about doing more B&W photos myself.

Take Care,
    Charles Cassidy,
    Cassidy's Photography,http://www.modellocate.com/action/goto/uid=4447
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I like the first one better. The guy walking past is a contrast to her stationary position and makes the shot much more visually interesting, I think. The extra space that the man takes up also places Amanda in the perfect position in the frame.

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    The crop is definitely a good idea thumb.gif

Next time, just shoot once the guy is gone :D

Amanda seems to be lovely, I'm sure you'll take plenty of other photos :)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    The crop delivers a completely differnt meaning (at least for me). The uncropped shows a woman ... basically doing nothing ... a bit bored maybe ... maybe waiting for something to happen ... while life goes on around her ... people are busy reading ... a man is bustling down the sidewalk seemingly with a destination ... and she's just standing there with little action.

The cropped version communicates to me an entirely different story. She is impatient, she is supposed to meet someone and they are late ... causing her to be late. The tag shows that she is working and this is her break ... or maybe she's just starting or just getting off ... in either case the lateness of her associate is a problem ...

Waiting is a purposeful action ... hanging out really isn't purposeful.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited October 7, 2006
    reading seefutlung, I'd say you should have tried a lower shutter speed so it blurs every moving subjects, thus focusing on the girl while life around ain't stopped ;)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Antoine, did you actually click on the photo and look at the published exif?
    Shutter speed: 1/30s. I don't know about you but this is pretty much as low as I can hand hold.
    AntoineD wrote:
    reading seefutlung, I'd say you should have tried a lower shutter speed so it blurs every moving subjects, thus focusing on the girl while life around ain't stopped ;)
    edited October 9, 2006
    No, I had not, but you may try 1/15, retaining your blow.

Why not a tripod or stop smoking :D , in fact?
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I like the first crop better, since I liked the contrast between the man moving (his feet position give it away) and Amanda standing still as if she poses.
    enjoy being here while getting there