Choosing lens for marathon

BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in Cameras
As I posted in another thread, I'm looking at photographing a 5k dog walk/run marathon, Unfortunatley, I'm worried that my current lenses just aren't going to cut it, but I can't afford to buy. So i'm looking at trying to rent a lens.

The three lenses I own are the:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon 50mm 1.8
Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 DG(Not the APO)

All on the Rebel XT.

I'm trying to determine 2 things,
First, Am I being worried for nothing? is what I have already enough?
Second, If I do rent a lens, what is a good choice?

Anyone able to help me with this?

Thanks a bunch!
Ben

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 5, 2006
    My first question is how close can you get to the runners, and can you intereact with them very close up??

A wide angle lens can be great if you can get close enough with it. If you are limited to standing at the sideline and shooting the runners as they go by 40 feet away, you will need a moderate tele at the very least.

I would take the 17-85 and the 70-300 if it were all I had. The faster f1.8 50 can be great also - depends on just how close you will be allowed and what the light is like.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Seeing as most marathons are outside during the day, and the runners don't run that fast (not like a soccerball flying through the air anyway), your equipment shouldn't be that limiting. The main thing will be finding a good position. Remember to think about distracting backgrounds and if the runners will be moving through harsh light/shadows and stuff like that. But if you decide to rent glass, your 18-55 plus something like a 80-200 F2.8 would cover you completely unless you get stuck really far from the course. Oh, and a step ladder might help if you get stuck behind lots of onlookers.

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    If I do it, I'll be working with the organizer, in fact he's the one who brought it up to me :) plus it's not that huge of an event, Info at http://www.sleddoggin.com/roversrun.php

So I don't think I should have too much trouble being close, But I'll definitely take that into account..
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 6, 2006
    Of the three to choose from the 70-300 is the clear choice. FWIW I was shooting a 10k and every pro photog was shooting a version of the 70-200, most witha monopod but it was a night event with massive "stadium type" portable lighting.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I've really only shot two marathons, in LA and Nashville.

The LA marathon I shot with the 24-120 vr lens, and I didn't really like the results so much:
    http://www.pbase.com/mmr/la_marathon_2005

They're fine, but not so close up.

Nashville I shot with the Nikon 70-210 4-5.6. It was fine for this purpose (and is the only reason I keep this lens):
    http://www.pbase.com/mmr/country_music_marathon_2005

So I'd guess that youre 70-300 will do the trick, but if you happen to be able to stand right next to the course right when the race starts, use the 17-85 and then switch to the 70-300.
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I think my biggest worry is the overall image quality from that lens.

Perhaps it is my copy,
    Is there a way to determine if a lens is having a focus issue?

Thanks,
    Ben
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Hi Ben,

I've ran in and shot a lot of races over the last several years. A telephoto zoom is really the only way to go. I used to have a 70-210 USM and now have the 70-200 F2.8 IS. The wide angle is useful for the after race shots of people standing in line for food/water, etc. where you might be wandering through the crowd in tight quarters.

Otherwise I would position yourself at the start/finish line. Usually in 5K races like this that support a local charity/cause don't get too many really serious runners. A fast time will be 16-20 minutes. Most people, particularly if they are running with a dog, will likely be in the 25-30 minute range. So you should be able to get the start of the race and then have plenty of time to take some candids of race volunteers, etc. before the runners return.

Most often the issue with photographing runners is getting a sharp focus. If you have a person running directly toward you (let's say coming to the finish line), all but the very best cameras can have difficulty tracking the movement fast enough. You're best to compose the shot by focusing on a fixed spot and taking the picture as they run through. You can set your camera to continuous shot mode and take the first picture just before they pass through the sweet spot. 1/500 sec or faster should do the trick.

For the first few people across the line, I also try to get the timing clock in the shot (if there is one). The race winners appreciate having a record of their win with their time.

You might even want to try some intentional blurring. Try panning a shot with the dogs/people running past you (1/60 to 1/200 sec). At this shutter speed you can get their bodies quite sharp, but their legs blurred, giving a real sense of motion.

We have a similar race every year that I love to run in and photograph. It's called Pets in the Park and raises money for the local Humane Society. It's probably my very favorite race. So have fun and try to get some shots that reflect the spirit of the moment. I'm sure you'll do fine!