cheap replacement for my Sony 717 (stolen in Quito)

rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
edited October 14, 2006 in Cameras
On the first week of my 6 months in Ecuador my beloved Sony 717 got snatched - see details on my homepage/blog if your´re interested.
Now I´m looking for a cheap replacement - nothing big as I currently don´t to spent so much money and I definately want something smaller for now. Everyone told me before, but I wouldn´t want to listen...

Any suggestions on what and where I should get it? Around here in Bahía I´ve just seen a Kodak C300 or something like that for US$ 160.

Thanks for your help,
Sebastian
Sebastian
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Sad news :cry 717 is just amazing
    have you tried new H series of sony ? Picture quality is fine the only negative point is that too much flash recharge time when shooting with full power. If budget is tight try to find H1.
    12x zoom will open new doors iloveyou.gif and yeah image Stab
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Thanks Awais and Andy for your suggestions. While both cameras look really good, I need something smaller and lighter for now. I've deceided for a Canon PowerShot A620. I already got it on ebay and my parents will send it to me then.

Hasta luego,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    When I bought my 20d, I decided to keep my F717. It truly is a fantastic camera. My condolences, and apologies I can't recommend a replacement.

jamie
    edited October 9, 2006
    JamieC wrote:
    When I bought my 20d, I decided to keep my F717. It truly is a fantastic camera. My condolences, and apologies I can't recommend a replacement.
    Yeah, that's also what I would have done if I had bought a DSLR. I mean I just repaired the CCD problem for 160 bucks one day before it got stolen. So she was in perfect shape. :(

Well, I got to get over it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Sebastian,
    On the first week of my 6 months in Ecuador my beloved Sony 717 got snatched - see details on my homepage/blog if your´re interested.
    Trully sorry to hear that... Those underdevelopped countries... My first rangefinder was also stolen in one of them...
    OTOH, my first P&S was stolen in Harras buffet, South Lake Tahoe, NV:-), and also very soon upon my arrival to the country.. rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Are you willing to buy another Sony F717? I just might have one for salene_nau.gifD
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
    edited October 12, 2006
    Brett wrote:
    Are you willing to buy another Sony F717? I just might have one for salene_nau.gifD
    Currently I already settled for a different camera, but I´m always open to offers. So how old is it and did it already have the CCD problem or might it jut be that this will turn up anytime soon?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 12, 2006
    Currently I already settled for a different camera, but I´m always open to offers. So how old is it and did it already have the CCD problem or might it jut be that this will turn up anytime soon?

Sebastian

Bought it brand new January 2004. Taken alittle over 8000 (eight thousand) photos with it. No CCD problems.
    edited October 13, 2006
    Brett wrote:
    Bought it brand new January 2004. Taken alittle over 8000 (eight thousand) photos with it. No CCD problems.
    Sounds interesting. Anyone knows until which serial number the CCD problem exists? How much you want to have for that baby?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 13, 2006
    Sounds interesting. Anyone knows until which serial number the CCD problem exists? How much you want to have for that baby?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

All you need to know and then some :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44840
    edited October 13, 2006
    edited October 14, 2006
    JamieC wrote:

What do you mean?ne_nau.gif
    edited October 14, 2006
    Brett wrote:
    What do you mean?ne_nau.gif
    I mean someone has an F717 for sale, so if the original poster wanted to get an F717, here's at least one opportunity.

Jamie
    edited October 14, 2006
    Thanks for the heads-up. This is really tempting, but I think I´ll have to pass - at least for now. I just bought another camera and it´ll hopefully arrive in the next couple of weeks without too much extra cost due to customs. Maybe when I play around with my new smaller camera and I´m back in Germany I´ll start thinking about getting which bigger camera I want then. The F717 was a great camera, but perhaps in half a year there´s something else around that would fit me even better. Who knows.

Good luck with your sale.
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited October 14, 2006
    Thanks for the heads-up. This is really tempting, but I think I´ll have to pass - at least for now. I just bought another camera and it´ll hopefully arrive in the next couple of weeks without too much extra cost due to customs. Maybe when I play around with my new smaller camera and I´m back in Germany I´ll start thinking about getting which bigger camera I want then. The F717 was a great camera, but perhaps in half a year there´s something else around that would fit me even better. Who knows.

Good luck with your sale.
    Sebastian

Alright Sebastian, if you change your mind you know where to find me.

Thanks