Corner #75 - comments please...

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited October 10, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
100330625-L.jpg

100303816-L.jpg

This was a rather tricky (and exhausting) self portrait session utilizing a tripod, remote shutter, the 30d's low burst setting and every bit of it's buffer. :D I have 10 images to work with but they all share the same characteristics only the motion and ball placement varies. I'm of the notion to go back and re-shoot the concept again.

100311173-L.jpg

Neon corner? :D My ode to Ed Pashke, RIP.

100311113-L.jpg

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    I think this is a cool idea... might be tough, but I would rather see the blur on the ball actually going into the corner pocket. I also might try a high-angle shot closer-up on the corner.
    Chris
  • gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I like the first shot with the cueball more straight on and with the cue on the fingers.

And where do you find powder snow like that in Chicago?
  • Nick MorganNick Morgan Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I agree with Chris. Great idea. I also agree that it would be nice to see either movement toward or all the way into the corner pocket.

Your idea leaves open all kinds of cool ways to experiment. What if the photo showed the whole journey of a ball through multiple banks and such, eventually leading into the corner pocket. Another way to experiment would be to place the camera so that it looks more like we have a view from the corner itself (this could reallly enhance the presence of the corner in your picture). At any rate, very cool idea.
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I like the first one the best by far. I think it would be a strong entry.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Another way to experiment would be to place the camera so that it looks more like we have a view from the corner itself (this could reallly enhance the presence of the corner in your picture).

Just be careful that the ball doesn't jump anywhere, or you might put your camera in jeopardy!!
  • LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    The first one works for me.

Lee
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I see you entered the first photo. Good choice thumb.gif

It's a great shot!!!!
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    First Photo is really good. That brought home the point of this challege...Corner!!!!!

It is going to be tough to beat this one out.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I love the first one. Great idea. Nice shot.
  • pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    For "Corner", definitely the first one.

I'm not so enthralled with the last one's hyper-processing headscratch.gif
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I love the first and i see that you have entered it!

When I saw that, I was sooooo super excited to try the first challenge I have ever tried! I am still working on it, but I just loved your shot!

Very very nice!!

Good luck!!

Heather
  • hugzhugz Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Wow I cant find the words to say how much I like photo#1
    Speachless
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    hugz wrote:
    Wow I cant find the words to say how much I like photo#1
    Speachless

First photo is Rad! Im not exactly sure how you managed hitting the ball and clicking the shutter button?? I have an IR remote for my D70s but waht did you use, im curious. ANyways i would try this but i don;t own a pool table. Possibly get someone else to hit the balls, and you take hte photo, make it a little easier. ANyways maybe instead of getting the motion of the Q-ball get the motion of the ball going into the corner pocket.

Just a different idea. I think your first shot is awsome.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I would have Minesota Fats over there slow down the shot a ton and slow down the shutter speed and see what happens. Mabey raise the POV too?
    It looks good in my mind....
    Oh yea, #1 all the way out of those 3.
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    #1, excellent photo, as always. bowdown.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    you picked the right one! great shot!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen