Macro using new light tent - 1st try

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited October 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
I just built a cheap PVC-pipe light tent and tried taking a few quick shots tonight to test it out. The lighting was provided by two clamp lights above and to the left/right of the tent. Here's one of the images - what are your thoughts?

100309440-M.jpg

Comments

• DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    i think itd be a lot better if you could find away to make more of the ring in focus

itd be a great shot, im not really feeling it
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    CSwinton wrote:
    I just built a cheap PVC-pipe light tent and tried taking a few quick shots tonight to test it out. The lighting was provided by two clamp lights above and to the left/right of the tent. Here's one of the images - what are your thoughts?

100309440-M.jpg

I've built the same thing :): (the do it yourself lightbox) congrats, it's a ton of fun :):

Larger DOF for sure, you should be able to swing f/10+ with a tripod. i normally (depending on the lens of course) shoot at f/10-f/14 on my macro lens. thumb.gif
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    botanist wrote:
    I've built the same thing :): (the do it yourself lightbox) congrats, it's a ton of fun :):

Larger DOF for sure, you should be able to swing f/10+ with a tripod. i normally (depending on the lens of course) shoot at f/10-f/14 on my macro lens. thumb.gif

I did shoot others with more DOF - and I was using a tripod. Here's one at F16. Better?

100324430-M.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    CSwinton wrote:
    I did shoot others with more DOF - and I was using a tripod. Here's one at F16. Better?

I prefer this second shot to your first, there is more of the ring in focus.
    You can definitely see the difference ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • pjb923pjb923 Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I agree that more depth of field is needed, but in my opinion the 2nd shot has gone a little too far.

In the 1st shot, even with only a small portion of the ring in focus, you can still see all the detail you need. The pattern is the same all the way around the ring, so it's not necessary to get the entire ring in perfect focus. I also like the angle better in this shot.

By moving up to F16 you now have the less important and highly reflective inside edge of the ring in focus and it calls attention to the reflections of your light tent.

I think I would prefer a DOF somewhere between the 1st and 2nd shot.
  • botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    CSwinton wrote:

100324430-M.jpg

It's better, but like PJB said it might be too far?

When I'm not sure which DOF to use, I use them all lol So I start at about f/7.1 and move up to f/14 or so one step at a time. eek7.gif But I'm crazy...rolleyes1.gif

Higher DOF is definitely preferred, had there been an inscription on the ring I think f/16 would have done us nicely here. thumb.gif
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    wonderful i like 2nd version most clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions - I appreciate it! I'll shoot some more this weekend with the tent and see how it goes.

Now where did I put that ring... Just kidding - the wife would kill me. :D