Thursday Night Junior Varsity Football

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited October 6, 2006 in Sports
Here are some shots I took late this afternoon at the local JV footbal game...not great but I see improvement. As the evening went on the shots went down hill, lighting was terrible.

I welcome any and all C & C...I will even accept bids for my camera equipment ( I sure can't use it):D :D:D

Shot with Canon Digital Rebel XT, using Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lense

f5.6, ISO 400, 300mm, 1/800
100332020-M.jpg

f5.6, ISO 400, 300mm, 1/1600
100331703-L.jpg

f5.6, iso 400, 300mm , 1/800
100331902-L.jpg

f5.6, ISO 400, 300mm, 1/200
100332082-L.jpg

f5.6, ISO 400, 300mm, 1/500
100331952-L.jpg

f5.6, ISO 400, 300mm, 1/500
100331829-L.jpg

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    What equipment (camera and lens) were you using? And what is the EXIF for these shots?

You've got nice tight framing whi6ch I like in football shots. You've also caught some nice action which is also a huge bonus. So, don't knock yourself - you're definitely on the right track here.

First shot was great timing but it needs some additional PP - it's about 2/3 - full stop underexposed. Most of the shots are. Remember, you want to expose for faces - which means more often than not default camera metering is going to be wrong. Especially if a team has white jerseys. But the good news is, it looks like you aren't off the left side of the histogram here so you can brighten these up and it will make a big difference.

Also, did you do any USM on these shots? If not I think it will help them quite a bit. If you've already sharpened them then the info you supply above could help us figure out how you can get a bit sharper.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Johng is on the money with his remarks ... everything bits a bit soft (either no sharpening or slow shutter) ... but you are on very close to dialing in the camera ... your eye is good ... cranking up the ISO would probably help, tighter cropping would also help. Too much background ... crop very very tight and the action will pop out of the computer into your lap. Watch you horizons ... some are tilted. If you have an N or better ... count me in on your incredibly low equipment sale.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Edited the original
    to show EXIF. All of the shots are straight out of the camera with the exception of some cropping.

Thanks for your help/comments they are very welcomed.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    All of the shots are straight out of the camera with the exception of some cropping.

Thanks for your help/comments they are very welcomed.

Ok, next bit of advice - it's a very rare sports photographer that takes a perfect picture right out of the camera. the rest of us (I'd say 95% of us) can DRAMATICALLY improve just about every sports shot taken. Post processing is a necessary and important step in creating a good finished product.

So with the exception of the "look how sharp this lens is" type posts just about every photo taken can be improved. For sports shots it's definitely necessary. Cropping, levels, colors, USM and often some dodging and noise reduction (for high ISO) are necessary on just about every sports shot if you want to get potential out of it.

So, the work behind the camera is only about 1/2 the work - the work at the computer is the other 1/2.

Good luck and please repost a couple of these after you have processed them.