iso3200 on the d200 is not too good
100390164-L.jpg
100390242-L.jpg
100390312-L.jpg
100390113-L.jpg

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Nice timing on #1 - flash worked well for you here. It's a good pic.

The other photos really need a much tighter crop IMO. And, as is the danger with night time football they all look to be at least a stop underexposed. I guess that's why I feel a usable ISO 3200 is a huge help for nighttime football - or even soccer.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    There is always a possibility that a camera mounted flash will distract a participate ... thereby affecting the performance and hence the outcome.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited October 6, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    There is always a possibility that a camera mounted flash will distract a participate ... thereby affecting the performance and hence the outcome.

I think it depends on the sport and understanding what a participant is looking at. For instance, a gymnast often will look strait ahead and a flash could be blinding and very dangerous so they're never allowed.

For football, assuming you're not blowing the flash in their face from 5 yards shouldn't even notice it. Any player I've asked about it has said it doesn't even register. But again, you have to use common sense here and judge for yourself whether a flash is too close and in the player's line of site. In general, it's always good practice to ask coaches whether or not you can use flash.

I do tend to agree with you on your other point - flash work is very difficult to do well. I've seen a couple folks who do it well but most do not. It's very difficult and I try to avoid it if I can. Sometimes, however - there's no choice. If you're in the back of the endzone with ISO at 3200 and 2.8 and your shutter speeds are below 1/125 you have no choice. So, as long as flash use is approved then if you're using common sense I think it's OK. If a coach or organizer says no flash then you absolutely respect that request.
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    johng wrote:
    Nice timing on #1 - flash worked well for you here. It's a good pic.

The other photos really need a much tighter crop IMO. And, as is the danger with night time football they all look to be at least a stop underexposed. I guess that's why I feel a usable ISO 3200 is a huge help for nighttime football - or even soccer.

thx...I have gotten use to not cropping high iso shots from my d50 but the few i did from the d200 came out much better...the extra mp-s is helping i'm sure...i can also bump EV more with a d200 raw than the d50 and not expose as much noise
    edited October 6, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    1)

4) Look as any press photog from a major news organization ... do they use camera mounted flash at sporting events. The people I saw using flash at a football game were kids from the school, unskilled parents/ press photog wannabes from very small weekly papers.

I think this is a worthwhile discussion, So i'd like to keep it going. Good points made on both sides (as long as we keep it civil). To this point, in specific, I will say: it depends on why you are taking photos. Most of the press photogs from the major news organizations are after 6-8 keeper shots they can submit. Once gotten they go home or on to the next game if they've got multiple games to cover. And, newsprint is always more forgiving than color print - so if you look at photos of HS football in particular in major publications you'll see that peak action is the name of the game - whether or not you can see faces - and wheather or not colors are good - Is it good peak action with crisp in-focus shots. So, those photogs really have an easier goal. They also have the benefit of equipment others can't afford. I would again argue - you have to be respectful and have a working relationship with the athletic department.

I've seen good work from some very accomplished pro shooters who use flash for fill - because they're interested in prints not just newsprint. So, having an understanding of what's important to your audience is important. And, in all honesty, if the players and coaches are OK with it - it's their opinion that matters most.

Your arguments about affecting game play are valid to a point - you have a responsibility to not interfere - just like when shooting baseball from the field - there it's even more crucial as you're physically in the field of play. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed on the field because there's the possibility you COULD interfere. Part of being a professional is using judgement.
    edited October 6, 2006
    eject, eject, eject
    Sorry guys, I'm pulling the ejection handle and getting out of this one.

Good luck and good shooting!
    edited October 6, 2006
    johng wrote:
    Sorry guys, I'm pulling the ejection handle and getting out of this one.

Good luck and good shooting!

thx for the continuing advice and help John, I appreciate it...and safe landing :ivar
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Seefutlung does have good points. The same he made when I asked. I'm not a wannabe but just helping the paper out. plus they pay a little to my 2.8 fund that I hope to get later this year. & then I don't plan on using flash.

Saying that, he gives good info. I believe you just have to be thick skinned here sometimes.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 6, 2006
    Hi Gang,

i think there are some good points to be made in this discussion. But
    please, let's keep the personal out of the discussion. OK?

TIA,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 7, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Gang,

i think there are some good points to be made in this discussion. But
    please, let's keep the personal out of the discussion. OK?

TIA,
    Ian

that works for me...I am very predictable, when offered constructive criticism, I respond accordingly but unfortunately I have my other side that sometimes gets the better of me on internet forums...I will make a special effort to behave myself when confronted with a similiar situation.