Thursday Night Football

johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
edited October 6, 2006 in Sports
A few from last night - not sure why the Thursday night for a varsity game - I'm pretty sure it has to do with television - local sports network is televising more HS games this year so I think they're moving gamaes around to Thursdays to show more big matchups.

As always, C&C welcome...

Commin' round the end for a 35 yard touchdown run...
100320620-L.jpg

Trying to avoid the sack...
100323421-L.jpg

Stopped for no gain on a 3rd and 1 play...
100321029-M.jpg

One of several nice punt returns by this kid
100324354-L.jpg

FUMBLE!!!
100316948-M.jpg

100317885-M.jpg

Checkin' his receivers
100322291-M.jpg

Comments

• SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Nice exposures ... the white pants could use some burning in. Watch your horizons ... some are tilted.

#1 Nice shot to bad you clipped the toe and a bit too much air on the right.
    #2 Horizon way off ... but another nice action pix ... too bad about clipping the defender's arm (clipping is a 15 yard penalty). Were you shooting vertically or horizontally?
    #3 Man close but no cigar ... if only one could see the ball carrier's face ... on my monitor look like the white jerseys would use a little darkening or a tad less contrast.
    #4 the ball carrier's backside doesn't do much for me (but if I was a Republican Congressman from Florida maybe I'd appreciate this shot more...)
    #5 Good timing on the fumble ... a bit busy ... just not quite in the right place for the definative pix
    #6 10's lucky day! (my old number :D ) ... A tad too much contrast or burn in all those bright ... bright whites a bit.
    #7 Not a lot of action there ... not all that interesting to me ... butif I was the QB's Mom I'd like it ... or a Congressman from ....
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Thanks for the comments.

clipped body parts unfortunately come with the territory. can't always move away from the action so I occasionally get burned :)

As for #2 - it's a matter of perspective. I preferred to keep my vertical lines intact on this shot - notice the player, pylon and fence post are all vertical. To me this made for a more pleasing result than if I adjusted to protect the horizontal. So, at least in this case it was a conscious choice on my part.

#3 - again I hear you. Here's where the extra FPS of the mkII N would come in handy. I agree it's a good example of 'oh so close'

As for the highlights - right again. But given the choice of seeing a good face and having bright pants vs. properly exposed pants and face in shadow I'll take facial exposure every time. But you're right, I could burn the pants and it will improve the shots - thanks for the pointer.
    edited October 6, 2006
    Took another look at #2 ... yep... its all a perspective angle thing. Your exposures are right-on (exposing for the face and deal with everything else later) ... the later = some burning in or a touch less contrast or both.

The eye is attracted to white/bright stuff and on my monitor they are just a bit too bright (overall) ... do you have a monitor calibration thingie ... if not ... Amazon has the Huey Pantone for about $60 ... a pretty good deal. The Huey not only calibrates but also works in the background adjusting the monitor for changes in ambient light.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited October 6, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:

The eye is attracted to white/bright stuff and on my monitor they are just a bit too bright (overall) ...
    Gary

Gary - you're right on. It's why I post so I can get good feedback. I'm fond of preaching that postprocessing is important - I don't have a monitor issue I just have a case of "tunnel vision" - concentrate too much on one aspect of a photograph and ignore others. It's why a fresh set of eyes is a good thing. I agree about the burning - I'll work on toning down those highlights a bit.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback clap.gif
    edited October 6, 2006
    johng wrote:
    Gary - you're right on. It's why I post so I can get good feedback. I'm fond of preaching that postprocessing is important - I don't have a monitor issue I just have a case of "tunnel vision" - concentrate too much on one aspect of a photograph and ignore others. It's why a fresh set of eyes is a good thing. I agree about the burning - I'll work on toning down those highlights a bit.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback clap.gif

Good Luck ... sorry about what happened over at the other football stuff. Maybe the other guy and I both have chips on our shoulders ... but like yourself, I'm not into arguing on the internet ... so I'm out of that thread as well.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    nice work John...what camera/lens ? flash ? iso ?
    thx
    edited October 6, 2006
    nice work John...what camera/lens ? flash ? iso ?
    thx

Canon 20d w/ sigma 120-300 2.8
    manual mode - iso 3200, 1/400 f2.8
    no flash - just decent lights and exposing for faces.

thanks for looking.