Photographying every single people I meet.

AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in People
Hi every one, this summer, I've decided to take picture of everyone I met so I could both test my "new" Hasselblad and build a suitable series to show to some magazine so they can hire me (hopefully :D ).

Here are a few samples :
First, my buddy David who got admitted at a Belgian school of cinema, lately:

ad200608-231-08.jpg

…then with a better haircut and his brother (who's into cinema, too):

ad200609-243-04.jpg

Of course, I took my family, too, like my uncle:

ad200609-244-46.jpg

Lately, I finally got my driver's licence, thanks to a good instructor here in Paris:

ad200608-230-05.jpg

My friend Kossar spent a few days at home, too:`

ad200608-233-kossar.jpg

Of course, I took some other pictures I'll try to post later ;)

C&C are appreciated, as usual.

Thanks !
have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?

Comments

• ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Wow, these are really nice! I especailly like the one of your uncle - what a great expression. And if that cinema guy ever gets famous, the first shot will be great for his biography!

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    All, with the exception of #3 seem a bit on the soft side. Maybe it's my monitor ... or maybe it's that whiplash producing Hasslblad mirror slap. Many times I would lock up the mirror a fraction of a second prior to releasing the shutter the on my Hasselblad. I'd tell my subjects not to move on the first bit of noise ... worked for me.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Love the colour in the last one...also the direction of the glance, the circular lighting behind the subject, and the general feeling of film that I get from the finish.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    yes, that last one is really remarkable.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Wow, thank you all for those very nice comments' bowdown.gif:D

Fred : yes, I'm preparing my photo bank, sort of :D

Seefutlung : I guess it's a good idea, but I like to see the picture til' the very moment I trigger the 'blad. But I'll give it a try, soon.

I should try faster speed than 1/30, too :D

Meanwhile, I do like the atmosphere given by the "soft side", because it ain't too blurry.

Well, as I said: I'm currently "testing" this kind of gear. I'll professionnaly use it for a portrait next week, I think.
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I can see you have a natural talent...great work & keep it up thumb.gif
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I can see you have a natural talent...great work & keep it up thumb.gif
    I agree, fantastic work. I love your eye for composition, exposure, and the moment. You can go anywhere in photography you want.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited October 7, 2006
    I agree, fantastic work. I love your eye for composition, exposure, and the moment. You can go anywhere in photography you want.

thank you, gus & shay :bread

Hope you're true, it would help a lot me to work, beginning is sometime quite hard (paying gear & so on one hand, trying to find work on another... ouch) but, well, shay's right :
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

These images comes from a long "journey", more & more feedbacks are the way to know how to "improve" your very own skill, whatever it is.

By the way, is there any medium format guy here into portrait ?
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I *really* like these a lot! My only comment is the dust is pretty bad and you may want to figure out how to fix that....

The glasses in front of your uncle may be a tad too dominating (If you had gotten a tad higher, that might have been better), but I just love the feel of these photos and the lighting is wonderful....
    edited October 7, 2006
    Thanks, photogmomma, you're are so right about dust but I 'm kind of lazy :D Those are some scans of 13x13 prints so I thought there was no use to do more than a little usm and a slight color adjustment.

Would have it been some neg's scans, it would be different.
    ;)

About glasses, I guess: yes and no. In fact, I don't really feel annoyed by the higher champagne's glass but I should have putted it o the left, instead.

By the way : those are personnal shots, and it's kind of expensive so each of one is only ONE shot, or two but generaly from a different angle.

I shot too much with my dslr, so it's more than healthy to try to make better with less :D
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I took a look again, and I like the glasses where they are. Out of focus enough to not steal attention, but there enough to put the shot in context. I like them there.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    The only one thats really working for me is the first one, I like the composition. Try pushing your film when you shoot, it will give you better contrast. Other then that, they are alright photos, I see alot of potential coming out of that hassy. thumb.gif
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
    edited October 8, 2006
    The only one thats really working for me is the first one, I like the composition. Try pushing your film when you shoot, it will give you better contrast. Other then that, they are alright photos, I see alot of potential coming out of that hassy. thumb.gif

"pushing my film" to get contrasts?

You mean exposing it at an higher iso (as I actually do with b&w)?

I do often push it by 1/3 il or so but I think there is enough contrasts, on those prints ;) I am more violent with digital + flash :D

Anyway, it's true this 'blad has a big potential even with its old lens (a 80 mm planar, without any corrections relatively to colors, etc.). I'm in love with it :D

Especially because I don't have to spend more time on my computer :D
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I love your style and your photos. I even checked out your other photos. I agree with Shay, you're very talented.

I love the color, the composition, and the overall feeling you give with these.

Great work. bowdown.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Antoine I really like your photos. They are very natural and all have enough style to be arty. Some luck a bit of details and sharpness (perhaps you need a tripod - ha ha, sorry had to pay you back! ;-)

Great stuff.
    edited October 9, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    I love your style and your photos. I even checked out your other photos. I agree with Shay, you're very talented.

I love the color, the composition, and the overall feeling you give with these.

Great work. bowdown.gif

wow ahum... thanks. I will definitely post more often here :D

I even should think about United States :D I've always wanted to visit but I didn't have any chance yet.
    Antoine I really like your photos. They are very natural and all have enough style to be arty. Some luck a bit of details and sharpness (perhaps you need a tripod - ha ha, sorry had to pay you back! ;-)

Great stuff.

Well, I owe you this one :D

thanks again.

to everyone:
    It really encourages me to continue this way. Don't hesitate to hit thoses images bad so I can improve some other details I wouldn't have thought about ;)