Big Moon Tonight!

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited October 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
Low in the east as the sun was setting.

100502725-L.jpg

300L f/4 with 1.4 tc attached.....handheld with the aid of a fencepost.

Comments

• MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    I think I just took a shot of the same moon. mwink.gif I like the cloud in front.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Maestro wrote:
    I think I just took a shot of the same moon. mwink.gif I like the cloud in front.

Yeah...it comes by a little later in the Lone Star State.:D (probably bigger too)

Thanks!

So where is your shot?
  • MrXpressMrXpress Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2006
    Same here. It was quite bright outside, I must say.

100506835-L.jpg
    edited October 6, 2006
    MrXpress wrote:

Cool.thumb.gif

An exposure nightmare...either you get a nice moon and no sky or sky and a blown moon.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Not easy to shoot is it, I've tried it some time ago and I too got the blown out highlights, I would love to get a good moon shot.

Good try Ric thumb.gif ........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Im onto it Ric...man is it bright...sunny 16 rule my hairy leg !
    edited October 7, 2006
    Edit......... okay you got the better of me I went outside and had a go meself rolleyes1.gif
    This shot's hand held ............. it's not easy hard to figure out what setting to use headscratch.gif Skip.

100590085-L.jpg

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited October 7, 2006
    MrXpress wrote:
    Everyones having a go I see rolleyes1.gif same moon yet look at the angle your moon shot is a different angle to mine....location location :D
    Skippy (Australia)

edited October 7, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Edit......... okay you got the better of me I went outside and had a go meself rolleyes1.gif
    This shot's hand held ............. it's not easy hard to figure out what setting to use headscratch.gif Skip.

Yes...the different angle is obvious! Looks like somebody is south of the equator.rolleyes1.gif

Nice one, Skippy.:D
    edited October 7, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif
    gus wrote:
    Im onto it Ric...man is it bright...sunny 16 rule my hairy leg !

Really you need at least two shots and blend....but that's too much work on a spur of the moment shot....especially when Deal or No Deal is coming on the tele...rolleyes1.gif
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I am very jealous of the great images you guys got - even the upside-down one rolleyes1.gif.

I drove for an hour to get on the other side of the mountain so I could get a shot of the rising harvest moon. It was cold and windy and some clouds in our usually clear sky. Well after waiting another hour for the rising, all I saw a tiny sliver of moon peeking thru some clouds on the horizon. Since I was set up, I shot it. Not even worth posting. :cry

I may try again tonight if the weather clears.
    edited October 7, 2006
    Another shot...
    100605181-L.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Nice handheld captures i loved 2nd and 1st both versions :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:

100506710-L.jpg

I guess we all went out last night and did the same thing! Handheld 200mm....

A little ps:

100509840-L.jpg

100506712-L.jpg

Photograph Details100506712-Ti.jpgDate Taken:2006-10-06 18:44:56Date Digitized:2006-10-06 18:44:56Date Modified:2006-10-06 20:18:31Make:CanonModel: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT Size: 515x412 Bytes: 85058 Aperture: f/8.0 ISO: 800 Focal Length: 200mm (guess: 1554mm in 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.001s (1/1000)Flash:Flash did not fire, compulsory flash modeExposure Program:ManualExposure Bias:0ExposureMode:1White Balance:autoColorSpace:sRGB

Like everybody else, I noticed that the shots from downunder have a different angle on the moon - cool!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited October 7, 2006
    Zanotti wrote:

I guess we all went out last night and did the same thing! Handheld 200mm....

A little ps:

100506712-L.jpg
    Z

Cool. thumb.gif

Now I'm going to have to add stars to mine! mwink.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Really you need at least two shots and blend....but that's too much work on a spur of the moment shot....especially when Deal or No Deal is coming on the tele...rolleyes1.gif
    Hey ric do you know of a web site that explains how to blend ? I will search it myself but wanted to know if you have any prefered link ? You most likely have it in your head but i would love to see what i get from blending.
    edited October 7, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Hey ric do you know of a web site that explains how to blend ? I will search it myself but wanted to know if you have any prefered link ? You most likely have it in your head but i would love to see what i get from blending.

Sorry...no.

Self taught by trial and mostly error!rolleyes1.gif

I use Corel PhotoPaint and all I need to do is select an objects properties and choose blend. I am then presented with a dialog box that lets me choose various parameters for the blend. The most important one being opacity.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Nice shots everyone. thumb.gif I read that this full moon is about 12% brighter than normal because it is at the closest point in it's orbit right now. I saw it rising and man it is looking big!

Enjoy (harvest moon) photography :D