DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited October 14, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Final crop:

Flying Corner

102373331-S.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 7, 2006
    Of the 3 images the 3rd is the strongest. It's crisp and exposed well with a nicely saturated sky. The skewed angle of the 1st shot does nothing for me and it feels dark and underexposed. The 2nd shot feels cut off because it's cut off at the top.

I'd acutally suggest cropping the 3rd pic such that you don't see any of the brick at all and maybe widen it out to bring in more sky. Tough to say without seeing the original uncropped pic.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Of the 3 images the 3rd is the strongest.

Quite agree.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback, try these and see what you think...

Original image - no cropping
    100596441-S.jpg

Original crop from first post, for comparison
    the building had been left in as more of corner emphasis.
    100533224-S.jpg

Second cr opping - No building, might be warming up to this one, just not 100% sure yet, but there isn't much else to do with the image:D
    100596472-S.jpg

and yet another cropping. Last one, promise:D
    100599076-S.jpg
    edited October 7, 2006
    Try to get the line in the middle of the corner perfectly vertical. As it is right now it's leaning a bit to the right. After seeing the uncropped original I think that might be your best bet, leaving it uncropped. Dunno, I could be totally off base, just trying to offer some options.
    edited October 8, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Try to get the line in the middle of the corner perfectly vertical. As it is right now it's leaning a bit to the right. After seeing the uncropped original I think that might be your best bet, leaving it uncropped. Dunno, I could be totally off base, just trying to offer some options.

I don't know, I kinda like the fact that it's not perfectly straight...adds a little character to the photo, not quite so static. I did finally end up with a cropped version that I like a lot though and your input helped. THX - Dizzy
    edited October 8, 2006
    Dizzy wrote:
    I don't know, I kinda like the fact that it's not perfectly straight...adds a little character to the photo, not quite so static. I did finally end up with a cropped version that I like a lot though and your input helped. THX - Dizzy

I think it might if the photo was not so center balanced. In htis instancve I think geometric and symetrical pefection are your friend. To me it looks like a mistake or carelessness. I do think that's a much stronger image than the long skinny crop you started with.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Gives me a case of vertigo..
    JMO
    edited October 9, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Gives me a case of vertigo..
    JMO

You think it's bad looking at it, you should have been behind the camera. I definately lived up to my name that day for sure:D - Dizzy
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    truth wrote:
    I think it might if the photo was not so center balanced. In htis instancve I think geometric and symetrical pefection are your friend. To me it looks like a mistake or carelessness. I do think that's a much stronger image than the long skinny crop you started with.
    I'm gonna have to agree with Truth on this one, I'd like to see it without the slant. I think it'd be much more powerful if it was in perfect symmetry.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    edited October 10, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    I'm gonna have to agree with Truth on this one, I'd like to see it without the slant. I think it'd be much more powerful if it was in perfect symmetry.

I'll have to see what I can do. Unfortunately we've had a turn in the weather so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a reshoot done or not. I'll have to play with it and see what I can do. It's hard to let go of something that I really like in the photo, but I am willing to try it a different way...symmetry has its place but isn't always something I'm looking for. Cheers - Dizzy
    edited October 14, 2006
    102373993-S.jpg

This is what you guys wanted to see. I agree that it is a strong image, however, the image is now flattened out a bit and I can't say I like that any better or worse than slightly off kilter. Ah well it was w orth a shot. I did do a tighter crop on the original entry however and that helps. THX for the input. - Dizzy