Russian Thistle Bloom

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited October 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
AKA "Tumbleweed" around these parts.

It's still pretty warm around here and, with surprisingly rainy weather, we're still getting flowers. Of course, for the otherwise homely tumbleweed, ya gotta get real close-like in order to see the tiny blossoms.

I'm working on a makeshift macro rail that I hope will allow me to start making some focus-stacked images.

Wouldn't that be KEWL!
Steve-o

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    AKA "Tumbleweed" around these parts.

It's still pretty warm around here and, with surprisingly rainy weather, we're still getting flowers. Of course, for the otherwise homely tumbleweed, ya gotta get real close-like in order to see the tiny blossoms.

I'm working on a makeshift macro rail that I hope will allow me to start making some focus-stacked images.

Wouldn't that be KEWL!

So that weed I see in the movies that rolls across the desert plains...this is the flower to that??? or this is a flower with the same name ??

It's quite a pretty little flower........... I was outside water my Australian Natives by bucket (we're in drought mode here) and I see this year my dear little plant is going to bless me with between 5-7 Warratahs whoohooooo!!!

Thanks for sharing, hope I can share a shot in a month or so of these flowers once they come out......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Nice shot ! i am waiting for winter flower show :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Yepper! The SAME tumbleweed, Skippy! Some of them can get 8 feet in diameter before they finally break off, and can be quite an annoyance on the highways and byways.

All right, you. Us Yankees and whoever might not know what a "Warratah" (or "chucking a wobbly") is, any more than you folks Down Under might know what "meadow muffins" or "horse apples" are. So a little proactive translation might prevent a potentially awkward situation rolleyes1.gif
    Skippy wrote:
    So that weed I see in the movies that rolls across the desert plains...this is the flower to that??? or this is a flower with the same name ??

It's quite a pretty little flower........... I was outside water my Australian Natives by bucket (we're in drought mode here) and I see this year my dear little plant is going to bless me with between 5-7 Warratahs whoohooooo!!!

Thanks for sharing, hope I can share a shot in a month or so of these flowers once they come out......... Skippy (Australia)
    Steve-o
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    If you mean around my parts, the "winter flower show" won't amount to much where wildflowers are concerned. If we get the El Nino (with the little squiggle above that last "n") rains like the predictions anticipate, and with all the late wildflower blooms this year, we could be in for quite a show next spring even in the lower deserts.

That is, if the harvester ants (who love seeds) have left anything to sprout, as there've been a lot of those this year also!
    Nice shot ! i am waiting for winter flower show :D
    Steve-o