Sigma 150 F2.8 Macro

ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited October 8, 2006 in Cameras
Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro? It looks like it might be a good alternative to my Nikkor 70-210 F4-5.7 plus extension tubes. I like the idea of 1:1 without accessories, and I'd trade the zoom range for the faster apperture any day. I guess what I'm wondering is how fast the AF is. Some reviews say it's slow, others say it's not that bad. I know it's asking a lot of a macro lens to shoot sports, but would it be TOTALLY useless in that situation, or just a little slow? Thanks,

Fred.
Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
http://esiggins.smugmug.com

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 8, 2006
    This was shot with the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

18770735-M.jpg

It is sharp, and has a fast f2.8 aperture, but like most macros kind of slow to focus, because it has a large range to cover. The Sigma 150 macro also has a three position switch to limit focusing range, which can be kind of annoying to switch back and forth.

For sports, why not just use a 200mm f2.8 The Canon 200f2.8 L doesn's cost that much more than the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    For sports, why not just use a 200mm f2.8 The Canon 200f2.8 L doesn's cost that much more than the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

Sounds good, but Im using Nikon. Should've specified. I was looking at the Nikkor 135 F2 and stuff like that, but it's not macro. :(:

Beautiful shot, btw. That's the short of color and clarity I'm looking for - I'd just like it to be a vaguely capable telephoto at least for birds and street shots if not fast action. I'm trying to find a place that will rent one to me so I can try it out, but no luck so far.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com