1 city block...

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited October 9, 2006 in People
was how far from my loft I ventured this evening, walking in a wandering meandering sort of fashion, ducking into alleys and poking around. I've been shooting the 24-105 so much I felt guilty and twisted on the 70-200. I forgot how crisp this lens is.

100711345-L.jpg

100711145-L.jpg

Which of these next two captures do ya like best? I'm torn.

100711290-L.jpg

100711307-L.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    It was a hard call, but I like this one the better of the two.

100711290-S.jpg

though I would have tried to open up the shadow just a touch (fill flash?, some PP?).
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 8, 2006
    It was a hard call, but I like this one the better of the two.

100711290-S.jpg

though I would have tried to open up the shadow just a touch (fill flash?, some PP?).

Thanks Scott, I'm leaning that way as well. I think the expression is more natural. In regards to the shadwows, I prefer not to use flash on the street. I want the pics to be as realistic to what I saw as possible. To me the shadow shows time of day, direction...it tells it's own story. He was very agreeable to the pics and would have turned whichever way I asked, I wanted him facing exactly the way he was when I first saw him.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I really like the 2nd photograph as you have captured great light and atmosphere, very good detail and a non trivial pose of the man.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 9, 2006
    Thanks Ted. I like that shot as well. It was one of those moments you just luck into. I rounded a corner and there he was. I guessed at the exposure, made a quick adjustment to the camera and fired off three frames. As quickly as he appeared he was gone, into a loading dock looking for more pallets. I think the small size (smugmug's large) hurts this here though. This is a 50% crop of the same frame for detail.

100983007-L.jpg