Maui

JoanJoan Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited October 12, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm going to Maui for the first time next week, and have two questions maybe some of you can help me with.

1. For those of you who have been there, any places that you've been that are an absolute must-see to photograph?

2. Any hints on how to keep camera equipment safe? I want to take my Nikon D70 as I travel around, but am concerned about leaving it in the rental car's trunk on those times that I may go snorkeling.

Thanks!
Joan Barnett
~ Joan

Photo gallery: http://jbarnett.smugmug.com

Comments

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Hi Joan

Maui is the best. You must drive to Hana via the Hana Highway. Also, Lahaina is nice (if you like seeing whales.) Here is a link to some Maui stuff. Definitely drive up to see the sunrise atop Haleakala but bring your down coat! It's cold up there (10,000 feet!) And, of couse, visit the Oheo Gulch...guava, waterfalls, bliss...

http://www.nomadphotographystudios.com/gallery/84143

...and when you go into the volcano, remember that you have to walk back out!!

~damon
  • JoanJoan Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Thanks so much, Damon! Seems odd to bring an down coat to Maui so I appreciate your advice, and the link!
    ~ Joan

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 7, 2006
    Joan, a few places that I would love to back and shoot include:

Honolua Bay up past Kapalua.

'Ioa Valley State Monument

Anywhere along the highway past Honolua Bay, amazing rural Hawaii that leads eventually to the cliffs overlooking the infamous "Jaws" surf break. If Jaws is big the worlds best will be out riding 30-60 foot waves.

On Kaanapali Beach the north end is home to the Sheraton at Black Rock. Every night at sunset there are cliff divers that plunge off the rock. Some very cool potential there with the play between the spectacular sunsets and the torches carried by the divers.

The real beauty of Maui though is that the place is just so beautiful, no matter where you are there will plenty to shoot.
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Hi
    I grew up on Maui, (50's)I would recommend the Hana highway maybe with a stopover in Kaenae for a photo op. give yourself a few days to do this drive. Only been to Haleakalia once and that was on our honeymoon, didn't notice the coldrolleyes1.gif
    a downside
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/23/AR2005112301713.html
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
    edited October 8, 2006
    Thank you, truth and Ed. Ed, that's interesting about Haleakala. Maybe I'll go up there in mid-afternoon, hike, then stay for sunset. Thanks for the info!

PS: Didn't even notice the cold, hmm? rolleyes1.gifWell, I'm going with my husband to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary (honeymooned on the big island and Kauai) -- maybe I won't notice sunset colder weather either?
    ~ Joan

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    I also recommend Hana and it's accompanying road. Where DON'T you want to photograph on Maui? It's gorgeous and you'll love it.

If you're a carnivore, Cheeseburgers in Paradise is a must (if they still call it that). Limited photo ops but great hamburgers and killer pina coladas.

Been twice and never a problem, but thieves can spot a rental car from a mile a way. Don't leave your gear in the trunk.

Aloha!
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    Instead of a coat
    I've heard many people bring blankets from their hotel... I am so not a morning person that getting up at 3 in the morning for the long, twisty drive up to the volcano in the dark to see a sunrise was not appealing at all. Plus the weather is not guaranteed and it could be clouded in.

If you like flowers, visiting the protea farms is very interesting. You can stop on the way to the volcano or after leaving it. We stayed in Lahaina and drove north and around the island on this windy twisty narrow road -- saw some neat surf waves -- but there aren't that many places to pull the car over safely and it's undeveloped until you get over to the eastern side.

There's Wal-Mart and Costco (we'd get food for lunch and dinner at Costco and bring it back to our room's kitchenette).

We also took the road to Hana, it's pretty and worth the drive (more places to pull over) some parks etc. It's completely different from that north drive. I'd recommend getting a video tour to explain what you are seeing. It adds so much to your trip.

We picked up one of those "photo secrets" books and went to a few places we would have missed. South of the airport, for example, there's Spreckles Beach (spelling might be wrong).

Once there look for the free tourist guides, and stop at a tourist info booth for local information and happenings.

It's hard to go wrong -- also, some of the hotels are open to non guests and have pretty grounds, koi ponds, fountains, etc.

You could keyword search Maui on smugmug and see photos to give you an idea of which areas suit your photographic interests.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    I don't know if I would recommend a down jacket, but cold is a relative thing. My wife and I ran our first Marathon in Maui in March of 2000. Being from Canada, we are used to (well, maybe not used to, but we endure) a fair bit of cold during our winter months.

It was around 29-30 degrees celcius (82-86F) the day we went up to Haleakala. And even for us hardy Canadians, we thought it was cold! (compared to down at sea level anyway). I don't know if I would need a down jacket, but I would recommend a wind breaker, long sleeve shirt and long pants. It can be brilliantly sunny, but with a very cool wind. If your going to stay up there for a while, you should have some clothing options. I live not too far from the Canadian Rockies, and the rule of thumb that we use is a couple of degrees change for every 1000' change in elevation.

Just my two cents,
    Regards,
  • kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    all good ideas so far. depends on how long your gonna be here: ya dont want to pack in so much rushing around you need a vacation after your vacation.
    haleakala is a must see, only cold at sunrise: a blanket from the hotel room should be enough. comfortable in the afternoon. heres a suggestion for a long day trip:
    drive to hana in the morning, lots of pull outs and photo ops - stop often and wear out your shutter! lunch in hana. continue around to the 7 pools area. shoot some more. continue around the south side for the return, less traveled, nice vistas. stop at the winery in ulupalakua. continue through kula then go up haleakala and stay for sunset. thats a full day for sure Laughing.gif.

your staying in lahaina? wailea?

the next day you could take the north route and iao valley. the whales arent here yet but a snorkling trip to molokini is nice. then a shooting along the makena shore line.

hope you have fun!!!
    edited October 12, 2006
    Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I am SO excited, can't wait to go (only 6 more days until I leave).
    ~ Joan

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Be sure to share
    Joan wrote:
    Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I am SO excited, can't wait to go (only 6 more days until I leave).

your photos and experiences when you get back!