Canon Warranty Service Turnaround Time?

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited May 21, 2007 in Cameras
I have heard great things about Canon service, but I have not YET had to send anything in. Well....my 17-55 EF-S IS has an IS fluttering problem...First it was just when waking up, I'd see the frame jump a little. Now it is full out vibrating and the frame flutter wildly but intermittently, definately NOT what you would call normal operation for IS. Never had this problem on the 17-85. I have weddings every weekend from now untill the beginning of December. If I pack it up and ship it off Monday do I have any hope of having it back by Friday, or should I plan to rent a 24-105 or 24-70? I have a BIG Indian wedding tomorrow and I plan on just using the IS sparingly rather than leaving it on, hopefully it will work out.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    I have heard great things about Canon service, but I have not YET had to send anything in. Well....my 17-55 EF-S IS has an IS fluttering problem...First it was just when waking up, I'd see the frame jump a little. Now it is full out vibrating and the frame flutter wildly but intermittently, definately NOT what you would call normal operation for IS. Never had this problem on the 17-85. I have weddings every weekend from now untill the beginning of December. If I pack it up and ship it off Monday do I have any hope of having it back by Friday, or should I plan to rent a 24-105 or 24-70? I have a BIG Indian wedding tomorrow and I plan on just using the IS sparingly rather than leaving it on, hopefully it will work out.

I had one of the very first 24-105L's (there's a shocker)... well, there was a recall on them, I sent mine in and they turned 'round a new lens to me in a matter of days. Repairs are generally very very fast.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 8, 2006
    I agree that Canon Factory Service is pretty quick, but I would not bet that if you mail the lens Monday, that you will have it back 5 days later and repaired.

I would rent the 24-105 just in case. But then, I am a belt and suspenders kinda guyne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Well it is going to get to Canon tomorrow...
    My local pro place Service Photo in Baltimore (and the place I purchased the lens) said it will take around 2 weeks. They are renting me a 17-40 L for next week's wedding for 25 dollars (no discount) and shipping of the lens to Canon will cost 10 dollars. They took only the lens, left me with the box and packaging. Pretty easy process. I asked if the service (rental reimbursment and such) was different for pro services people, and they said not much. If I was sending in a DS MKII body and a member they might loan one if it available. Nice to know that Canon repair is fair, and handles everyone the same. So hopefully it will be back soon with happy gyros and everthing will be well again.
    edited October 23, 2006
    17-55 BAck from Canon
    Sent on 10/9 back on 10/18. IS seems right, elements looked clean, AF operating as expected. While it was away I rented a 17-40 f4 L to use on the 14th. I noticed IT backfocussed worse with my 30D than the 17-55 did, so I sent it in on Monday the 16th. The 17-40 did not backfocus as severely/at all on my 20D. The 17-55 and 30D crossed in shipping most likely so no chance of calibrating the body with the lens present. The backfocus was WEIRD, I mentioned it in another post and Ziggy said he experienced it with his 18-50 Sigma. It was only present in the 17-21mm focal length. So hopefully they can get the body right without the lens and I'll be all set to put the equiment away for the winter (or at least the slow season) with it clean and functioning correctly. My first Canon service experience was a good one, they got it right and back pretty quick, it cost me 20 dollars shipping but everything else was covered. They replaced the IS and cleaned the lens, some of the zoom ring slop which developed seems tighted up, but the barrel slop is still there but how much can you expect from a 1100 dollar plastic lens?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    Thanks for the follow up.

Sounds like your service experience mimics Andy's and mine.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    It takes about 2 weeks but if you are CPS and you let them know it should take 1 week. Canon service has been great to me about turn around time, btu I can't get into details about that.

On calibration, I battled this for a while. It's actually ideal that they crossed in shipping. What you want them doing is calibrating the lenses to their bench camera and your camera to their bench lenses. Only when I explicitly told them to do this did I stop having the issue where every time I bought something I had to get everything recalibrated.
    edited May 21, 2007
    Quite a bump I know...
    Well I've killed the SECOND image stabilizer in my 17-55 f2.8 . It is only at the point that it is fluttering a little then calming down and providing its IS wonderfulness. It started exactly the same way it did last time, flutter a little at start-up then flutter during zooming and refocus. I expect with normal usage it will be like a Nokia in meeting profile, in 4 more jobs. I bought it just before father's day last year, so it is still in warranty. I have a event Thursday, and weddings Saturday and Sunday. So rather than renting a lens Thursday and over the weekend I'm going to wait until next Tuesday to send it in. I'll need to rent for the follwing weekend's 2 jobs but hopefully it will only be one weekend. So what do you think the chances are of me getting a new 17-55 instead of them fixing this one. I bought THE first one my local pro shop got in, and paid 1100 dollars for it, I expect Canon to hook me up, hopefully they will.