Football Today

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited October 15, 2006 in Sports
While I've been shooting a lot of VB for the local paper in the last month, I got to shoot my second Football game today. It was fun, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'd love a reality check though, so give it to me straight.

I started out with the Sigma 50-500mm (f4-6.3) lense. It's not the fastest and has a bit too much depth of field.

100735779-M.jpg

100737393-M.jpg

At half time I switched to the 70-200VR (f2.8) with a 2X TC in hopes of getting less depth of field. This put me at 140-400mm making it difficult to get the closer shots, but did blur the background more.
100742061-M.jpg

More of todays shots at: http://www.donek.smugmug.com/gallery/1977730/1/100742061

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    bump
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Well, I like the idea behind shot #1, but the quarterback just isn't sharp enough to make it a great shot.

The other shots are better - they're sharper, but lacking POP. Part of that is because you used an aperture of 5.6. Next time, open the aperture to 2.8. You'll get more pop that way. I would definitely stick with the VR lens and stay close to the action. That lens at 2.8 will give much better results than the Bigma will.
    edited October 9, 2006
    johng wrote:
    Well, I like the idea behind shot #1, but the quarterback just isn't sharp enough to make it a great shot.

The other shots are better - they're sharper, but lacking POP. Part of that is because you used an aperture of 5.6. Next time, open the aperture to 2.8. You'll get more pop that way. I would definitely stick with the VR lens and stay close to the action. That lens at 2.8 will give much better results than the Bigma will.

You're right on the focus on #1, but it's going on newsprint and likely to be pretty small, so from that perspective, I think it does the job. A faster lense would have done better at focusing at the pace needed.

As for the f5.6, I was all the way open, but with the 2X TC 5.6 is the best I get. I was laboring under the misconception that the 5.6 was simply the camera's way of dealing with less light from the magnification of the TC, but a simple test has revealed that 200mm with the TC produces a sharper background than 200mm without it. I guess I'll try to stick with the 70-200 and work close up this weekend.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    i would go w/ the 70-200 alone @ 2.8 if you want bokeh
    edited October 15, 2006
    i would go w/ the 70-200 alone @ 2.8 if you want bokeh

Shot with the 70-200 at f2.8 today. I think this is an improvement . The home team lost, so it was slim pickins.

102504518-M.jpg

102504645-M.jpg

102504749-M.jpg

More at: http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/2005249

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    yes, much better...when I crop i try to include all of a person...also try for faces (I shoot hundreds of 'not enough face' and now i just toss them)
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Yes - these are much better. Very good job!