Options

The common delima (which lense)?

CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited December 25, 2004 in Accessories
Alright guys, my first post here on this board. First let me say..this site is such an invaluable source!

Alright, I've decided on the Nikon D70. I've been very impressed by what I've read about the camera and what people have to say about it. I've decided to get it with the kit lense (18mm-70mm) and would like to tack on a second lense. I like to mainly take landscape photography and with my original PS camera I bought a wide-angle lense and found it to be quite invaluable while taking pictures. So I was thinking a wide-angle lense..

This is my first entry into the DSLR realm and I'm asking you guys for a little advice. I'm really excited about this and can't wait to get taking pictures with it!
-- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Congrats on your new camera. They are a few possibilities if you want to go wide. From Nikon you have the:

14mm/2.8 for $1300-$1400 - super lens ain't heard a bad word about it
    18mm/2.8 for $1299 - notice how that 2.8 glass is pricey?
    12-24/f4 for $1200 - most love it some have had problem swith it
    17-35/2.8 for $1400-$1500 - another super lens, probably the best
    18-35/3.5-4.5 for $400-$500 - the budget compromise and a pretty good
    lens. Its the one I'm using until I get the
    $ for some of the others.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    CMaster wrote:
    Alright guys, my first post here on this board. First let me say..this site is such an invaluable source!

Alright, I've decided on the Nikon D70. I've been very impressed by what I've read about the camera and what people have to say about it. I've decided to get it with the kit lense (18mm-70mm) and would like to tack on a second lense. I like to mainly take landscape photography and with my original PS camera I bought a wide-angle lense and found it to be quite invaluable while taking pictures. So I was thinking a wide-angle lense..

This is my first entry into the DSLR realm and I'm asking you guys for a little advice. I'm really excited about this and can't wait to get taking pictures with it!

Cmaster - Is tha really a skunk on your head???

Tamron makes two lenses thta get very high marks, the 16-35 f2.8-4 XR Di and the 28-75 f2.8 XR Di. I have owned the 28-75 F2.8 XR Di and found it is an excellent lens and for `$400 it is a first rate bargain. I use it for 80% of the images I shoot on my 20D.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cmaster - Is tha really a skunk on your head???
    Hahaha..yes, yes it is! But, luckily that's not me wearing it...only a similar looking fellow rolleyes1.gif

I acutally went with the Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D ED-IF AF wide-angle. I'm anxious to see how the kit lense plays out for me. Everything I've read about it seems like it's a pretty good all-around lense.

Thanks for your recommendation, I'll definately keep those in mind for the future. Heh heh..I'm already looking at more lenses! I'm sure you guys will be hearing from me in the near future!
    -- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    you'll be happy
    with the 18-35. I been shooting with it for around a year now and haven't found a reason to complain. There will always be another lens on your horizon for now on. There's no known cure for lens lust. mwink.gif

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    I used the 12-24 for a while on my D100 and D2H, loved it. I wish Canon made one (for my 1D)