Buying a DSLR

BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited October 9, 2006 in Cameras
The thought of switching from my Sony 717 to a DSLR has crossed my mind several times. I had thought of buying a Canon 20D, then I thought of buying the Sony Alpha. I figure for the prices and the capabilities, they are alittle much for what I would need. I have really being putting alot of thought into buying either the Canon Digital Rebel XT or the Nikon D70. As of now, I am leaning towards Canon. I know the great Canon vs. Nikon debate but if you guys can give me any insight into either camera, I would much appreciate it. Thanks. Since I will be selling my Sony 717 with plenty of other goods to go along with it. I will be buying new with kit lens and hopefully pick up a few extras.

Brett
Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    I don't have much advice as to which platform to go with. But once you decide, don't look back unless there is a compelling reason like lens selection, noise, available accessories, etc. Not, I repeat not based on thinking you could get better photos with XYZ vs ABC. Either camera line will give you more than enough capability to get whatever photo you need.

So pay attention to the things you think you will need (at this point) and see which camera line best fits your needs right now and possibly into the future. Another important consideration, which one seems to jive with you the best. Which one seems to be more understandable to you. It's kind of like a coke/pepsi pc/mac kind of thing. Some brains just work better with one product over another.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    I've been shooting Nikon since 1980 or so. I even worked for them for three years in the mid-1980s. I've owned a succession of point-n-shoot cameras but just purchased my first digital SLR.

I bought a Rebel XT, largely on the advice of a good friend who works for Canon and, like me, has been in the photo retail business most of his adult life.

The choice was between the D70 and the Rebel. My buddy gave the nod to the D70--it's a good camera. But it was the image stabilized lenses (which he considers "life-changing") that convinced me. I wound up buying two, the 17-85 and the 75-300. In spite of their ridiculously slow maximum aperatures, and ones that change with the focal length selected, they are great lenses. I shot 6,000 photos in five weeks on a recent trip and got no more than a handful of motion-blurred images.

That's my 0.02 cents. Both are great cameras with good lenses for either. Good luck with your decision.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I bought the d70 when I held the d70 and the 300d at the same time. To me, the 300d was just too small and toylike. I was too ignroant to make my decision based on lenses, but my understanding is that they both have really good systems.

I guess the real question is what your needs are. You seem to want more than what you have now, which is why I made the switch to a dslr. I wanted instant on, a picture taken exactly when I hit the button, many frames per second, and very good image quality. Either system provides those.

If you're looking to be taking pictures with a 600mm lens, I think the canon is cheaper. It has been argued that the 17-35mm nikon is the sharpest landscape lens used now, and the canon system has better noise at higher iso's. I've taken quite a few images at the higher iso's with the d70, and I do wish I had the better noise control of the canon. I have the 17-55, not as good as the 17-35, but still my favorite zoom, with only recently a comparable lens from canon (the 17-55 2.8 IS). If these tradeoffs don't mean much, then probably either system will work for you.