friday night football

greenjkgreenjk Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited October 11, 2006 in Sports
heres some pics from fridays game http://www.jasongreen.smugmug.com/gallery/1974407

also any tips on shooting basketball indoors such as what iso what lens shutter speeds ect...

any tips on shooting baseball as far as where you are allowed to stand (high school)

thanks guys

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    BAseball: Stand where ever they will let you. I was able to get inside the fence a few times to shoot the game . Get in good with the umps. other wise I shot hitters & pitchers through it. also some have used a bucket or ladder to stand on to shoot over the fence. Good luck!
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 10, 2006
    Your shots look OK. I am at work and my monitor here is not very good for determining image quality. It does seem like the faces could use some lightening ne_nau.gif

Maybe this will help regarding indoor B-ball :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Your football shots:
    Well, the lighting looks to be it's usual horrible :D - given that, I'm not a big fan of the extreme close-ups. It draws a lot of attention to the fact there isn't much facial detail and overal sharpness isn't so great. When lighting gets that bad, I prefer more full-body shots. I couldn't tell from the EXIF what ISO you were at, but it appears you've got either too much motion blur or some camera shake - not a big fan of 1/250 shutter speeds. Are you already shooting at ISO 3200? If not, I'd suggest going up. If nothing else to increase exposure so you can see faces a little better.

Towards the end, there are some good examples of why I abhore flash use in most cases - the eyes just distract greatly from these photos. Sorry - it's just my opinion.

On basketball - the lens depends entirely on the venue. If you're in a well lit college venue than a 70-200 2.8 is a great lens. If you're shooting HS, then an 85mm 1.8 from the baseline is a great lens.

Baseball - again, it depends on where you can get access to. If you can get field access, then down either baseline is a standard shooting spot. There is also a 'dead zone' between home plate and batter's box where you can get some great shots of the infield - but the umps need to be very comfortable with you to allow shooting from that position.