Paper Thicknesses, and Shipping Times Questions

alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited October 9, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I found this by doing a search on print thickness. What is the thickness of the prints from EZprints? I had one of my first(smugmug prints) customers complain about the thickness on her prints. I asked her to bring them to me so I could look at them. I have not seen them yet.

I use Mpix all the time Don and Andy....and they always ship in a cardboard box. Inside all the pics are wrapped in plastic and protected with a wax paper type sleeve...and backed up by cardboard. Have you guys considered using them for a provider?

So far...I have been very happy with the prints I get from them. An order I just received from Smugmug seemed kinda FLAT looking on the color and crispness of the picture.

It also took forever to get it. I think it took almost 2 weeks to get it...small order with several prints....shipped to me.

Did not mean to hijack this thread...but I have busted my butt to make sure my customers get QUALITY. I have used alot of different print labs and ended up at MPIX up till the time Smugmug put the proof delay into play. Great feature by the way!!!!!!!

I would love to know(actually I demand to know) that my customers are getting what they have come to expect from me.

Barry Mathia
www.lawsonimages.com
www.lawsonimages.com

Will trade 2 crisp examples of the "Kit Lens" for a 400mm 2.8

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    alixmiles wrote:
    I found this by doing a search on print thickness. What is the thickness of the prints from EZprints?
    It actually depends on the paper choice - matte, glossy or lustre?
    I use Mpix all the time Don and Andy....and they always ship in a cardboard box. Inside all the pics are wrapped in plastic and protected with a wax paper type sleeve...and backed up by cardboard. Have you guys considered using them for a provider?
    We do not comment on other labs we may or may not be talking to. We do have lots of respect for Miller's Lab though, a great outfit and the do extremely nice, high quality work.
    An order I just received from Smugmug seemed kinda FLAT looking on the color and crispness of the picture.
    If you can give me the order #, I'll research it, review the pics, and offer up my opinion. I'll also refund your money completely, or provide reprints, as that is part of the SmugMug Guarantee:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/our-guarantee.mg
    It also took forever to get it. I think it took almost 2 weeks to get it...small order with several prints....shipped to me.
    Well, was it shipped "economy?" Economy, as we say in our shopping cart, is done by the USPS, and can take between 3 and 14 days for delivery. And we have zero control over the postal system, I'm sorry. Express, of course, is much faster, and is trackable. And there are 2nd and 1st business day shipping options, as well. So sorry yours took almost 2 weeks. Again, with the order number, I can research it.
    Did not mean to hijack this thread...but I have busted my butt to make sure my customers get QUALITY. I have used alot of different print labs and ended up at MPIX up till the time Smugmug put the proof delay into play. Great feature by the way!!!!!!!
    Thanks!
    I would love to know(actually I demand to know) that my customers are getting what they have come to expect from me.

Barry Mathia
    www.lawsonimages.com

I'm not sure what the "demand" is all about, but if I've not addressed your questions, you'll tell me, I'm sure, yes?

Thanks for being our customer!
  • alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2006
    I did not mean any disrespect with the DEMAND Andy. You guys have been great on the customer service. I am tickled about the site and all you guys do. I know you are working long hours and trying super hard to address the issues.

What I meant with the DEMAND comment...is this:

Over the last year I have been fawned over by the Moms that buy my pics.

Not bragging....just happy I am able to deliver something they(and me) are proud of.

I have done this to establish my business from a Quality standpoint. I have seen your work...so you understand. Great stuff!!!

I started lower with my prices and have started taking increases to them. I need to make sure the prints they receive are the best possible. In the past, the prints came to me and I delivered them or they came by and picked them up. So I always got to see the finished product.

They anal side of me(no jokes please) hates not being able to see them. Even though I know what they look like on my comp.

I know there is nothing you can do about this. I am just worried about that Mom out there that orders her first order and isnt happy with it. That is why I asked about the print thickness.

Her order was Gloss I think. I need to get rid of that option...I hate glossy pics.

I dont have the order for the ones I ordered...but it is the only one shipped to me in the last 6 months. EDIt here is the number 174300

Here is her order on the thin prints. 177570

Thanks for all you do Andy. SmugMug has helped me grow my business. I love all the new features. My site is one of the only Internet Sites that the School District here allows the kids to look at.

Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com

edited October 9, 2006
    alixmiles wrote:
    I did not mean any disrespect with the DEMAND Andy. You guys have been great on the customer service. I am tickled about the site and all you guys do. I know you are working long hours and trying super hard to address the issues.
    No disrespect was taken - and I like your style :D
    What I meant with the DEMAND comment...is this:

Over the last year I have been fawned over by the Moms that buy my pics.

Not bragging....just happy I am able to deliver something they(and me) are proud of.

I have done this to establish my business from a Quality standpoint. I have seen your work...so you understand. Great stuff!!!
    Thanks very much!
    I started lower with my prices and have started taking increases to them. I need to make sure the prints they receive are the best possible. In the past, the prints came to me and I delivered them or they came by and picked them up. So I always got to see the finished product.

They anal side of me(no jokes please) hates not being able to see them. Even though I know what they look like on my comp.

I know there is nothing you can do about this. I am just worried about that Mom out there that orders her first order and isnt happy with it. That is why I asked about the print thickness.

Her order was Gloss I think. I need to get rid of that option...I hate glossy pics.
    Yeah - lose the gloss. I only sell Lustre finish. It's the pro paper, gloss and matte finishes are consumer grade. In addition, matte is just not as rich looking at gloss. Also, our customers appreciate that we know what's best, IMO.

Thicknesses:

Gloss, Matte: Fuji Crystal archive type 2 = 8.2 mils
    Lustre: Fuji PD 11 lustre paper = 8.9 mils

In addition, the Lustre paper is watermarked "copyright" and "professional" on the back.
    I dont have the order for the ones I ordered...but it is the only one shipped to me in the last 6 months.
    I found the order, and I credited that $3.50 charge for you. All part of the SmugMug Guarantee. It was for "economy" shipping, which *can* take 3-14 days. In fact, your order shipped on October 3, so it arrived to you fairly fast. The reason it took so long, from ORDER TIME to RECEIPT time, is that you had proof delay on in that gallery. So the order sat for 5 additional days before it got sent to our lab :D So in fact, the shipping time was actually rather fast.
    Here is her order on the thin prints. 177570
    I just fired off a reprint for your customer, Lustre Finish - and express delivery. Of course, there's NO charge for this, it's all part of the SmugMug Guarantee. Please let your customer know the good news.
    Thanks for all you do Andy. SmugMug has helped me grow my business. I love all the new features. My site is one of the only Internet Sites that the School District here allows the kids to look at.

Barry
    It's our pleasure, and thanks for being our pro customer! Holler back if I can help further.
  • alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's our pleasure, and thanks for being our pro customer! Holler back if I can help further.

Thanks a bunch Andy. Great customer service!
    www.lawsonimages.com

• DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah - lose the gloss. I only sell Lustre finish. It's the pro paper, gloss and matte finishes are consumer grade. In addition, matte is just not as rich looking at gloss. Also, our customers appreciate that we know what's best, IMO.
    In addition, the Lustre paper is watermarked "copyright" and "professional" on the back.
    Now that is worth knowing. I think this should be in the pro section somewhere.

Dna
    edited October 9, 2006
    Dna wrote:
    Now that is worth knowing. I think this should be in the pro section somewhere.

Dna
    It's here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25761

and will be added to our Lustre Page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/lustre-prints.mg

The actual words: "Fuji Professional Paper. If copyright applies, permission to reproduce required."
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25761

and will be added to our Lustre Page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/lustre-prints.mg

The actual words: "Fuji Professional Paper. If copyright applies, permission to reproduce required."
    Thanks Andy. I hadn't seen the first post but had read the Lustre page. Too much information, too little time !!
    Might go and order some proofs to have a look at the difference.

Dna