Options

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited October 15, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Is this any good? I'm not sure, but something just doesn't seem right about it.

100945751-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Reminds me of Qbert. I'm with you though, something about it isn't working but I'm not sure exactly what. Maybe try a different anglene_nau.gif?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    George.George. Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    the top buildings seem to stand out too much as they disrupt hte formation of the rest of the buildings...
    a little more shadow or contrast would be great.

but i think it looks good. great idea
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    Maybe crop it so you can't see the sky & just go with it as a graphic shape?
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    Maybe crop it so you can't see the sky & just go with it as a graphic shape?

Ahhhh, interesting idea! Not too sure that this shot would work cropped, but I can always reshoot for a better graphic shapey type thing!thumb.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I'd really like to be there to shoot this building too.
    Seems like there is a whole lot more than meets this pic.
    I would leave the sky in and clone out the top building. Even then, I would neeed to look at this to see if I liked it though. That's my initial impression though.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    This is a really nice shot, lots of corners. I think a closer crop would do it.
    Leave a little blue sky on the right, cropped just after the curved part of the top building on the right.
  • Options
    Nick MorganNick Morgan Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    I think this photo is quite interesting, but I also sense that something's a bit off. There's almost a sense that the image is unreal -- that it's the product of graphic design, or that it came straight out of a video game. I get that from the grainy look and the unformity of color. Also notice that there is a vertical line in the left half where three corners line up and are stacked. I think that gives the sense of artificiality, also. another factor causing it to seem unreal is that you have shot from an angle that makes the left and right sides of each angle the same length, and symmetry puts the mind at ease, as opposed to alerting or interesting it

Some thoughts to consider if you reshoot:

1. try again when the light is different (maybe evening)
    2. try desaturating a little
    3. try shooting from a different angle to elimate the vertical line and the symetry in the lengths of the sides
    4. zoom in more and see how fewer blocks look
    5. try including the building's foundation in a shot
    6. include a person in the shot, if possible (or photoshop a person onto one of the blocks); it will create a sense of scale and people often really help architectur shots.

hope this helps!
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    I think this place has alot of potential. The curved section in the very top kind of spoils it for me though. I would try moving in closer and lower so the curved section wasnt showing if possible. Maybe try a portrait composition also. And maybe a different angle were no corners line up stacked on top of each other. Just some ideas its hard to say tell you actually view the results.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    You could try a black and white version of the photo.
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    i agree with the curved top comment, I'd definitely try for a closer a crop...also, I wonder what this building would like from the roof looking down. Don't know if thats a possibility or not tho.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    fits the theme, I like it. as already recommended - maybe a different angle or crop?
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited October 15, 2006
    Well some school things came up and I wasn't able to reshoot this, so I figured I'd try to crop. Here's what I think I'll enter as my final copy. If anyone has any suggestions for a better crop or some PP I could do that would be great! Thanks for your replies everyone.

102686406-M.jpg
  • Options
    CharbuCharbu Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Looks much better cropped.