Concert Advice...Bamboozle

PatrickKawaharaPatrickKawahara Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited October 11, 2006 in People
Hey guys, I have a once in a life time chance to prove myself to some corporate buffs that I can actually take decent photos. I work for a record label and they recently found out about my love for photography and have granted me a two day photo press pass to Bamboozle Left...basically a huge music festival on the west coast. I am really nervous for this but also very excited. I was wondering what lens I should be using, and what kind of bag I should take, just any advice would be amazing. thanks in advance.

www.bamboozleleft.com

-Patrick.
Nikon | Nikkor | Sigma
www.4amPhotography.smugmug.com
-Patrick Kawahara

Comments

• FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Hey guys, I have a once in a life time chance to prove myself to some corporate buffs that I can actually take decent photos. I work for a record label and they recently found out about my love for photography and have granted me a two day photo press pass to Bamboozle Left...basically a huge music festival on the west coast. I am really nervous for this but also very excited. I was wondering what lens I should be using, and what kind of bag I should take, just any advice would be amazing. thanks in advance.

www.bamboozleleft.com

-Patrick.
    Patrick, looks like it'll be an AWESOME event! Having fun is the most important! Be creative too, don't just go for the standard headshots.

I use my 70-200mm 2.8 IS almost exclusively. Guess it depends on how close you are to the artists though. I've always got the hood on too for lens protection. Something to consider... is your gear insured? Be careful in the pit if not! Also try to get shots up on stage from behind the artists. I love those kind of shots.

I'll also bring my 16-35mm 2.8 for those wide-shots, and also have a 50mm 1.4 for walk-around afterward.

As for a bag, I usually just wear a ThinkTank strap around my neck with a couple of small pockets for the lens' and stuff. Not into big bags that catch on everything and everyone...

Oh, leave the flash OFF during shooting.. you'll get way better captures. And did I mention bring LOTS of digital media so that you don't have to offload to a laptop in the parking lot while the concert is rockin' away!

When I shoot an event like this I'll usually bring a Camelback with lots of water and energy bars so you don't have to stop shooting to grab those nasty nachos and stale beer, etc.

Post your pix when done please. I just love concert photography!

Rick
    http://rickweller.com/music

By the way, just looked at your photos and they are fantastic! You'll blow them away!
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    this is a good read...a little dated, but...

http://www.photo.net/learn/concerts/mirarchi/concer_1.htm
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM