The Flea

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited October 10, 2006 in Holy Macro
This first shot is unstacked, but also NOT cropped.

Using a Canon Powershot A520 zoomed all the way out, in macro mode, manual focussed as close as I could get, aperture fixed at f/8, ISO 50, and also with a 25mm eyepiece off of a 4-inch Meade reflecting telescope...AND one of the two lens elements off of Ray Enterprises 10X loupe, which just happened to fit nicely within the little rubber eye cup on the eyepiece.

All this mounted on a chopped-up plastic Tasco microscope used as a make-shift macro rail of sorts:
Steve-o

Comments

• ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2006
    ...and THIS one is from a 9-frame stack, with a little tonal editing but, again, NO crop:
    Steve-o
  • handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    All I can say is that this is delightfully disgusting. I love macro and what a clear shot for a canon A520. I have played with the A620 and that can only get down to about the size of a quarter but still pretty cool. I would like to have a Bellows for my XT to do similar stuff. Just maybe not fleas.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    ...and THIS one is from a 9-frame stack, with a little tonal editing but, again, NO crop:

Gosh, it does show up a lot more detail, you can see more in the body and more of the finer body hairs..... thanks for sharing your experiments, they're lookin good thumb.gif ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited October 10, 2006
    Well, that A520 did have some extra help. Otherwise, that flea would show up on the screen at maybe 1/4-1/2 inch.

With no actual microscope, this is about the best I can do. But I've needed some tricky subjects to characterize Alan Hadley's CombineZM software (www.hadleyweb.com, for your free download) especially to help our lab manager. The poor guy needs a way to make better images of the metallurgical samples and deposits we gather from the sites we sample all over the four winds. And focus-stacking software seems to be the way to overcome the very shallow DOF issues of microscopy.

handlebar wrote:
    All I can say is that this is delightfully disgusting. I love macro and what a clear shot for a canon A520. I have played with the A620 and that can only get down to about the size of a quarter but still pretty cool. I would like to have a Bellows for my XT to do similar stuff. Just maybe not fleas.
    Steve-o
    edited October 10, 2006
    Looks better OFF ya than ON ya, ayy???
    Skippy wrote:
    Gosh, it does show up a lot more detail, you can see more in the body and more of the finer body hairs..... thanks for sharing your experiments, they're lookin good thumb.gif ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Steve-o
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    How small it is ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited October 10, 2006
    About 2, maybe 3 mm.
    How small it is ?
    Steve-o