Greek Orthodox Christening

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited October 11, 2006 in People
I know these are dark, grainy and somewhat soft, but I was shooting indoors with no flash. All shots are with the 70-200 f/2.8L. Most are ISO 1250 f/3.2 which was all I could do to keep shutter speeds fast enough for the 150-200mm range I was shooting. I don't think I've ever spent so much time on so few photos in RAW conversion trying to dial in exposure. The abundance of white was also a real pain. There was a "real" photographer there getting close up's with a flash so I was just trying to capture more candid and artistic shots from my seat in the pew. I hope you dig em.

101328007-L.jpg

101336116-L.jpg

101332754-L.jpg

101334696-L.jpg

101333813-L.jpg

101336726-L.jpg

101337091-L.jpg

101333891-L.jpg

101335306-L.jpg

101336675-L.jpg

101336267-L.jpg

Full Gallery

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Wow. Seriously, wow. These are really incredible shots. Regardless of your difficulties, you got some amazing photos! I hope the family is as amazed by them as I am...

clap.gif
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Those shots are AWESOME. I loved them! What a cute baby.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    #3 is a KILLER shot. Orthodox christenings are fun to shoot. I almost got spit on by accident during the first one I shot. These are the kind of shots I was expected to get with 2 person coverage, and you did an awesome job. Like the conversion, love the expression, love the moments.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Simply amazing
    These are excellent shots! What is even more impressive is the lack of light you mentioned shooting in but you'd never know it from the photos. Great eye and execution.....bowing humbly. bowdown.gif (Looks like the lens next on my list...Laughing.gif).
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 10, 2006
    Thanks for all the kind words.

Swartzy, the small image size here is very kind to the pics, viewed at 100% and in color they are really horrid.

Of note the actual photographer at the event is including 9 of these shots in her album for the family. I gave them to her at no cost as a courtesy to my new extended family. I will however be offering the family prints at my cost. Was I thinking correctly or am I nuts?
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Great set of photos Chad.

I think I won't be far of the mark if I say we both like tight framing and certain level of contrast. This is probably why we both comment on each others photos so often. Thanks for sharing - always a pleasure to see your work.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    I think the REAL photographer was (you) sitting in the pews!!! Fantastic job! If I were the parents and these were the only shots of the entire baptism, I would be estatic!! :saurora
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Thanks for all the kind words.

Swartzy, the small image size here is very kind to the pics, viewed at 100% and in color they are really horrid.

Of note the actual photographer at the event is including 9 of these shots in her album for the family. I gave them to her at no cost as a courtesy to my new extended family. I will however be offering the family prints at my cost. Was I thinking correctly or am I nuts?

Since you asked...I think it's awesome that you would give them as a courtesy to your new family. I would question the sense in allowing the photographer to make money off of your work, if that's what is happening. I guess I would have traded the pics for something, or taken some cash, since it's coming from the photog, not your family.

I really like your pictures. You did well under difficult circumstances, and you did well in post, as well. There are some real precious shots there. Good job.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    wow!!! What a great set. I love the last one, and love the B&W. It is perfect for these shots. clap.gif
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    great framing!

i like the feel of the b&w with the grain a lot... looks like b&w film.

great backgrounds, bokeh, patterns, lines....

the expressions on the people's faces, the good focus... very good series truth.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Sweet job, Chad. Got a link to the "real" photog's shots? I have a feeling yours are on par, if not better. I don't know if giving the pics to the other photog without anything coming back to you is something I'd condone. Sure, it benefits the family, but the photog should offer you something in return. Regardless, the shots are great.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 11, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Sweet job, Chad. Got a link to the "real" photog's shots? I have a feeling yours are on par, if not better. I don't know if giving the pics to the other photog without anything coming back to you is something I'd condone. Sure, it benefits the family, but the photog should offer you something in return. Regardless, the shots are great.

Thanks. I really struggled with what to do, but in the end I felt I should give them to her. She's only using them of the album the family is getting, and the family knows I gave her the pics so I doubt she'll try to profit off them any more than she would have if the album did not have the pics in it. After learning a bit more about her, she's pretty low end on the scale of event photogs and she's a friend of the family as well. So maybe it was dumb but it felt right.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Thanks. I really struggled with what to do, but in the end I felt I should give them to her. She's only using them of the album the family is getting, and the family knows I gave her the pics so I doubt she'll try to profit off them any more than she would have if the album did not have the pics in it. After learning a bit more about her, she's pretty low end on the scale of event photogs and she's a friend of the family as well. So maybe it was dumb but it felt right.

Sounds good, given all that. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Amazing photos and very intresting
    very cute kid :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery