National Gallery

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited October 11, 2006 in Holy Macro
Just got back from a trip to Ontario (Ottawa and Toronto) where my new 16-35 f/2.8 got a real workout. I love this lens.

Haven't had time to process many photos. Here's one from the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa. Comments and critiques welcome as always.

101247326-M-1.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Just got back from a trip to Ontario (Ottawa and Toronto) where my new 16-35 f/2.8 got a real workout. I love this lens.

Haven't had time to process many photos. Here's one from the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa. Comments and critiques welcome as always.

Would like to have seen a larger image if possible :D
    The smaller one you've posted looks good, but hard to tell.
    You hand holding or using a tripod ??
    Glad to hear you love the lens, please post a bigger picture for us :D
    ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    very cool i will love to see that guy and poster from close
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Would like to have seen a larger image if possible :D
    The smaller one you've posted looks good, but hard to tell.
    You hand holding or using a tripod ??
    Glad to hear you love the lens, please post a bigger picture for us :D
    ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Hi Skippy
    Here's the enlarged photo
    101247326-L-1.jpg

This was shot handheld. Click on the first photo for the exif.
    edited October 10, 2006
    very cool i will love to see that guy and poster from close
    Hi Awais
    Your wish is my command...
    101595145-L.jpg

The painting he's looking at is called "Voice of Fire" by American artist Barrett Newman. The gallery paid $1.8 million dollars in 1989 for this painting. Yes, the gallery paid $1.8 million dollars for a painting of three vertical lines of blue, red, blue.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Couple of questions. First off, for a shot like this where you would want max DOF, you used f/3.2? I'm assuming you used f/3.2 because your ISO was set to 100 so you had a slow shutter speed of 1/15th. Because you used such a large aperture there is visable vignetting, which is a known problem with this lens when wide open or close to it, especially on full frame cameras. Is there any reason you used ISO 100 when the 5D handles higher ISO so well? The vignetting isn't a big deal because you can get rid of that pretty easily in post.

I really like the new crop better, it gives the image more focus and the scale comes across better. Personally I like the painting, GO BEARS! rolleyes1.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited October 10, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Couple of questions. First off, for a shot like this where you would want max DOF, you used f/3.2? I'm assuming you used f/3.2 because your ISO was set to 100 so you had a slow shutter speed of 1/15th. Because you used such a large aperture there is visable vignetting, which is a known problem with this lens when wide open or close to it, especially on full frame cameras. Is there any reason you used ISO 100 when the 5D handles higher ISO so well? The vignetting isn't a big deal because you can get rid of that pretty easily in post.

I really like the new crop better, it gives the image more focus and the scale comes across better. Personally I like the painting, GO BEARS! rolleyes1.gif
    Hi Glu
    Normally I would crank up the ISO when I'm shooting indoors, but I was shooting outside before I went into the gallery so I was shooing at 100. I forgot to reset the ISO after I went in, I was too busy looking at the artwork. Anyway, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D
    I remember this was a bit of a rushed photo. I turned around and saw the guy standing in front of the painting, so I pointed the camera, got the best exposure I could and took a shot. He stepped away moments later.
    You're right about the vignetting. Thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Well good eye for seeing that and taking the shot. For a quick grab you did great. If you need or want help getting rid of the vignetting just holler. Got any other cool shots from the gallery?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Dan - I prefer the original even with the vignetting. I don't think it detracts in this case, just my opinion.

I thought you had posed this shot - I don't think it would be nearly as good if the man were not completely contained in the red stripe, and also if he did not have his hands clasped behind his back to break up his dark jacket a bit.

Nice to be able to see your work again -
    edited October 11, 2006
    Thanks DJ. I think I got lucky on this shot. I'll be posting more later.