Statcounter and private/ password protected galleries

mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited October 11, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

Does Statcounter work with private and/or password protected galleries? It doesn't appear to work in the default state, but is there anything special I need to do the HTML code to make it work or does it just simply not work b/c I've password protected some galleries?

Thanks!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Statcounter works for me in all galleries
    mkress65 wrote:
    Hello,

Does Statcounter work with private and/or password protected galleries? It doesn't appear to work in the default state, but is there anything special I need to do the HTML code to make it work or does it just simply not work b/c I've password protected some galleries?

Thanks!
    Statcounter works fine in both my non-public galleries and my password protected galleries and I didn't do anything special.

There is no statcounter hit on the password prompt screen because there's no customization there, but once you're through the password prompt the gallery page loads are just normal Smugmug page loads and thus the normal statcounter stuff works there just fine.

Galleries that are not listed on your home page are also just regular galleries with the ONLY difference between them an other galleries is that they aren't browsable from your Smugmug home page. Once a user finds them because you gave them an URL or you used a sharegroup or something like that, again the galleries are just normal Smugmug page loads so the statcounter stuff works fine there too.

Is there some specific problem you are having with some galleries not reporting in statcounter? Remember that statcounter can be configured to not report on your own hits, so you've got to use a different browser and maybe even a different computer to make sure you see the hits.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Hi John -- the problem I have:

Statcounter reports hits to all public/ non-password protected galleries. Statcounter reports 0 hits to any password protected gallery. SmugMug statistics reports several hundred hits to those galleries. ne_nau.gif

I have Statcounter configured to ignore my home IP, but not for my IP at school. When I go to my SmugMug site from school, Statcounter correctly shows my access to the public sites but, again, does NOT show any access to the password protected galleries.

I assumed this was a result of the photos being behind a password, but it sounds like this is not normal behavior.... headscratch.gif

Thanks for your reply!
    edited October 10, 2006
    Are you using hide owner?
    mkress65 wrote:
    Hi John -- the problem I have:

Statcounter reports hits to all public/ non-password protected galleries. Statcounter reports 0 hits to any password protected gallery. SmugMug statistics reports several hundred hits to those galleries. ne_nau.gif

I have Statcounter configured to ignore my home IP, but not for my IP at school. When I go to my SmugMug site from school, Statcounter correctly shows my access to the public sites but, again, does NOT show any access to the password protected galleries.

I assumed this was a result of the photos being behind a password, but it sounds like this is not normal behavior.... headscratch.gif

Thanks for your reply!

Do you have "Hide Owner" on in the customize gallery screen by any chance for your password protected or non-public galleries? If so, that displays them without your customizations and thus no statcounter code.

What I would suggest is that you go to one of the password protected galleries and do a View Source on the page in your browser, search for statcounter and then verify that the statcounter code is in your password protected gallery pages the same way it is in your normal galleries. If it's there, it should work. If it's not there, then it's some Smugmug setting you have set that is making it not be there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • SteveLajoieSteveLajoie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    How do you set up SmugMugs Stats to ignore your own IP?
    mkress65 wrote:

This is very interesting, I have been through the help pages but cannot see how to disable recording of stats from my own IP. Would you mind spending a few moments to explain how you did this or point me to the correct help page. Many Thanks

Steve Lajoie
    EOS 30D | EOD 20D | S50 | EFS 18-55 | 28-300 L | 24-105 L | 50-500 APO/HSM | 580EX | Hoya UV | Manfroto Mono | Velbon UltrMax Tri | Don't forget the Tokina 28-210 I use as a paper weight
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    This is very interesting, I have been through the help pages but cannot see how to disable recording of stats from my own IP. Would you mind spending a few moments to explain how you did this or point me to the correct help page. Many Thanks

Steve Lajoie
    It's not SmugMug stats they are referring to, they are talking about StatCounter, a 3rd party app.
    edited October 10, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Do you have "Hide Owner" on in the customize gallery screen by any chance for your password protected or non-public galleries? If so, that displays them without your customizations and thus no statcounter code.

What I would suggest is that you go to one of the password protected galleries and do a View Source on the page in your browser, search for statcounter and then verify that the statcounter code is in your password protected gallery pages the same way it is in your normal galleries. If it's there, it should work. If it's not there, then it's some Smugmug setting you have set that is making it not be there.

Hide Owner = No

Statcounter code -- you're right, its not there on the new galleries. Hmmm.... wonder what I did wrong when I was creating them. And... I bet its got something to do w/ StarExplorer (or how I'm using it) b/c I started password protecting galleries about the time I started using StarExplorer. I'll dig into that... thanks a bunch John! thumb.gif
    edited October 10, 2006
    Apparently I had the appearance defaulting to SmugMug rather than custom which must exclude the custome footer w/ the statcounter code... duh... :bluduh
    edited October 10, 2006
    I should've asked you about that one too
    mkress65 wrote:
    Apparently I had the appearance defaulting to SmugMug rather than custom which must exclude the custome footer w/ the statcounter code... duh... :bluduh

Cool. Glad you figured it out.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2006
    Matt,
    mkress65 wrote:

Glad you figured it out. clap.gif
    Unfortunately, I (i.e. S*E) cannot do much in that respect via API...ne_nau.gif
    So, just to be sure - default to custom and put your scripts to footer... This is how my site oparates, and I -who'd guess - use StarExplorer all the time (duh:-):D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 10, 2006
    OK, for anyone following this thread...

When creating a new album from Star*Explorer (and in the "default album settings" under "tools") if you check the "Display Custom Header" box, it will change the appearance of the album from "custom" to "SmugMug". I can't tell any change in my header by not having that box checked, so my suggestion is to just leave it unchecked (unless anyone can find some behavior that changes based on the state of that option.)

Thanks a bunch to Barb and Steve at the help desk for clarifying my confusion over what the Appearance setting does. thumb.gif

Also, a lot of thanks to Nikolai for helping me troubleshoot this from the Star*Explorer end!

Great product and fantastic service from both SmugMug and Nik -- almost makes me teary eyed...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    mkress65 wrote:

Thanks a bunch to Barb and Steve at the help desk for clarifying my confusion over what the Appearance setting does. thumb.gif

Our n00biest n00bs, to boot!

clap.gif glad you got sorted out :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Matt,
    mkress65 wrote:
    When creating a new album from Star*Explorer (and in the "default album settings" under "tools") if you check the "Display Custom Header" box, it will change the appearance of the album from "custom" to "SmugMug". I can't tell any change in my header by not having that box checked, so my suggestion is to just leave it unchecked (unless anyone can find some behavior that changes based on the state of that option.)

Thank you for your patience and willingness to work the issue out! thumb.gif

I guess it's an createalbum API way to set the Appearance effect via "Display Custom Header" flag.

Funny that names/logic are so reverse. ne_nau.gif

Setting "Display Custom Header" to 1 gives an album "Smugmug" appearance.
    Setting it to 0 (default) sets album to "custom".
    Who would have guessed...headscratch.gif

Thank you for using Star*Explorer!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 11, 2006
    Hiya Matt wave.gif

I was very happy to read that it seems all is well in your Statcounter world
    thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you very much for the kudos :D We can never have too many of those lol3.gif

Email is not the best, or easiest, way to communicate about technical issues. We really appreciate subscribers, such as yourself, that understand this and show enough patience to hang with us until their problem is finally solved.

So I'd also like to thank you Matt clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 11, 2006
    Hiya Matt wave.gif

I was very happy to read that it seems all is well in your Statcounter world
    thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you very much for the kudos :D We can never have too many of those lol3.gif

Email is not the best, or easiest, way to communicate about technical issues. We really appreciate subscribers, such as yourself, that understand this and show enough patience to hang with us until their problem is finally solved.

So I'd also like to thank you Matt clap.gif

Steve

15524779-Ti.gif Couldn't have said it better :) Thank you Matt for your patience while the issue was resolved :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign