fish's ch28 attempt

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited December 23, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I can't decide between b/w and color. The color has so much emotion...I can hear her shrieking, but the b/w is timeless and reminds me of a similar photo taken of my wife when she was about five.

thoughts?

12795729-M.jpg

12795545-M.jpg
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Black and White
    fish wrote:
    I can't decide between b/w and color. The color has so much emotion...I can hear her shrieking, but the b/w is timeless and reminds me of a similar photo taken of my wife when she was about five.

thoughts?

12795729-M.jpg

12795545-M.jpg
    I like the black and white one. It seems softer and sweeter. I think the bright red mouth detracts from her pretty eyes in the color shot. She's a darling girl. Great capture.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    fish wrote:

thoughts?

12795729-S.jpg

12795545-S.jpg

I am not a portraiture expert, but I prefer the color over the B&W. I think the color version might be better if the color saturation was backed off a bit -
    I find my eye strongly drawn by the red colors and this might be lessened by decreasing the saturation in the reds in her mouth slightly.
    The B&W seems more abstract, but the lighting is not dramatic enough to compete with the color. I think the B&W needs to go sepia or more high key. Just my thoughts in passing. She looks like she was really having fun with her dad.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 16, 2004
    Wow - Snappy - never let it be said that we are a conspiracy - we won't have a chance! Great minds seem to think a alike I guess. :roll :roll

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    good suggestion. really good, in fact. thanks snappy and pf.

is this a little better?

12803788-M.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    fish wrote:

is this a little better?
    Absolutely. I like that a lot better. It still leaves enough color to get the emotion across.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Hell she's a little qutie fish & a great model for you.

think yourself lucky..i have an image of jim morrison appearing in my bathroom periodically.

He's hard to catch but im going to be sure to get him by the week-end.
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    fish wrote:

is this a little better?

12803788-S.jpg

I like it, it has that old photo/timeless feel.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2004
    I love this one Fish.. she looks like she has masses of great spirit.. look out world.. coyfish is here...

12803788-S.jpg
    edited December 21, 2004
    Thanks lynnma. Say...nice beard! eek7.gif

Here's a second-grader that was at the party the other night. Could those eyes get any bigger?

12991039-L.jpg
    edited December 21, 2004
    fish wrote:

is this a little better?

12803788-S.jpg

I think this is a lot better - One other suggestion might be to increase the saturation back slightly in her eyes only, to really grab the viewer. ?It might work, right?? 1drink.gif Very nice Fish. I can see I need to drag out my old white reflector umbrella and join in too. :D

• obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think this is a lot better - One other suggestion might be to increase the saturation back slightly in her eyes only, to really grab the viewer. ?It might work, right?? 1drink.gif Very nice Fish. I can see I need to drag out my old white reflector umbrella and join in too. :D
    I agree, with more saturation on the eyes, it would attract the viewer :)
    edited December 22, 2004
    obelix wrote:
    I agree, with more saturation on the eyes, it would attract the viewer :)
    Something like this?

13057981-M.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 22, 2004
    That's it. Very nicely done!

That second grader is giving you 'the look'. And those huge eyes just scream at
    you 'better not'...

Cool picture though.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 22, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    That's it. Very nicely done!
    thx!

That second grader is giving you 'the look'. And those huge eyes just scream at you 'better not'...
    The eyes definitely demonstrate a wariness and wisdom beyond her years.
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's a second-grader that was at the party the other night. Could those eyes get any bigger?

12991039-S.jpg

Reminds me of young Christina Ricci around the Addams Family age!