Make your PS lighter

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 11, 2006 in Finishing School
While I was fussing around adobe scripting trying to make SE-to-Bridge integration work, I made a "discovery" - a lot of things in both Bridge and Photoshop are actually only external scripts that are loaded each time during the application start.

I was long going to find out to to get rid of a few things in PS that I don't use - Adobe Stock Photos being one of them, while "online services" being the second.
Don't get me wrong: each one of them may be worth their weight in gold, but I personally never use them.

So I was very happy to see their names in this folder:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\StartupScripts
being named AdobeStockPhotos.jsx and ols.jsx respectively.

Since I have now learned that any Adobe Creative Suite application (PS, Bridge, etc.) simply launches everythning .JSX it can find in that folder, I decided to rename these two files and see what happens.

I added ".~" to the end of both script files names (e.g. ols.jsx.~), you can do it in whatever other way, just make sure the extension is NOT a .jsx.
CAVEAT: to be able to do this you need to be sure that you can actually see and modify the file extension.

Here is a series of steps that allows you to do that.
Important thing: the "Hide.." checkbox on step 4 should be unchecked, as depicted:

101574450-L.jpg

Then I started PS - it fired up as usual (maybe a tad faster, but I'm biased:-), all the "unneeded" menus gone, while the other functionality remaining untouched. So did Bridge. :ivar

The best thing - should you find anything missing - just rename those files back and restart the apps. It's *that* easy! :deal

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments