ch 75 corners - your opinions?

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited October 11, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Already some good shots entered. Here's one I shot over the weekend:

Stepping accross the corners. . .

101601186-L.jpg
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• dlacouturedlacouture Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    I like it!

Good compo, nice rendering...

Only thing bothering me is the reflection at the bottom... Breaks the corner...

Maybe you could tone it down a little...
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    hey, thats cool, I'm curious though, what gives it that glow? Is it lights in the floor or something?
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    hey, thats cool, I'm curious though, what gives it that glow? Is it lights in the floor or something?

No lights in the floor. This is the floor in the Rockefeller Center, NYC. It's black marble with gold inlay. The gold picks up the light and reflections. Plus some post processing work in PS.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited October 11, 2006
    dlacouture wrote:
    I like it!

Good idea - I'll work on it.
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited October 11, 2006
    No lights in the floor. This is the floor in the Rockefeller Center, NYC. It's black marble with gold inlay. The gold picks up the light and reflections. Plus some post processing work in PS.

I gotcha, makes sense now. I didn't really know what I was looking at there at first, other then the floor somewhere.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Nice composition and concept. Agree that the bottom reflection is distracting. I find the shadow next to the left leg confusing as well.
  • dlacouturedlacouture Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Concerning the shadow, that's fun, as I found this strangely hypnotizing...

Well, I had quite a hard time understanding what it was, and in fact, my first impression was that it was your reflection!

Yep, in my mind, the shape quite matched one of a man taking a photograph, seen full-front...

Go figure...
    edited October 11, 2006
    tried cloning out the reflection but it's a pretty hard job with the high contrast and those straight lines.

Here's a different crop - seems to direct attention to the "walker's" foot a little more.

101764585-L.jpg

and a color version FYI
    101764476-M.jpg

I will probably keep looking for other subjects too. who knows.
    Thanks for the help.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    I like it, but it reminds me of the rhyme:

"Step on a crack, break your mother's back", smile. an old grade school saying.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    FWIW, I like the tighter crop color version best. Better emphasis on the subject, and the funky shadow next to the left leg becomes less graphic in the color version vs. b&w.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    dlacouture wrote:
    I like it!

Here here. Very nice but the reflections near you are a bit distracting.

Malte
    edited October 11, 2006
    I like the color one too. Its a very interesting subject.