Corner Store

SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited October 11, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was thinking about entering this for the challenge, but it seems a bit dull.

101713822-M.jpg

I'm thinking I may try a reshoot at night, to try to pick up some better and more interesting lighting.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

Comments

• windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    maybe on a fri / sat nite, teens are hanging out in front of the corner store?
    would add interest IMHO.
    BTW, the corner strore was going to be my idea, but i guess I'll still have to keep thinking now...

troy
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Sorry for stealing your idea. I didn't mean too :D

I currently live in the ghetto, so I'm a little afraid of getting too much of the night life on film, err CF card. I got some rather angry looks today just holding the camera outside the store. I'm thinking maybe the 70-200mm lens will work from across the street. haha. We'll see, maybe I'll force my roommates to come with me for protection.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    Sorry for stealing your idea. I didn't mean too :D

I currently live in the ghetto, so I'm a little afraid of getting too much of the night life on film, err CF card. I got some rather angry looks today just holding the camera outside the store. I'm thinking maybe the 70-200mm lens will work from across the street. haha. We'll see, maybe I'll force my roommates to come with me for protection.

offer to buy them (not teens of course), an adult beverage in exchange for a few shots. but have your friends with you :rambo :gun2
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    I like your concept--it was one of the possibilities I thought about when I heard the challenge subject.

To me, it's not just the lighting that is flat, but the composition is a bit flat as well. It's all middle ground--no foreground or background interest. I would try reframing the shot to include a bit more of the corner that it sits on. As for lighting, night may bring more color and shadow. A really sunny day casting more shadows might also add interest. Good luck!
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    A tighter crop might help as well.
    There are allot of things that distract my eyes when I look at this shot.
    Being a post-hood resident, you may not want to offer drinks. Things are awkward enough already. I'm sure you know that though.
    More light for contrast as Halite said.
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    offer to buy them (not teens of course), an adult beverage in exchange for a few shots. but have your friends with you :rambo :gun2

haha, I bought someone a pack of cigarettes once at that place, which led to 3 other people asking if I'd buy them cigarettes too...I told the first guy to share. :D

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'm thinking a night shot with some action outside the store will liven things up a bit and make for a better compostion. I agree, it is rather boring at the moment.