Nikon N75
Promaster 28-80 F/3.5-5.6 D
Promaster 100mm 3.5 macro
Tamron 75-300 F/4-5.6 D
Some misc Filters
Quantaray 7500a flash (for the n75)
Wirless remote
---In the works is an SB-800 flash

What would be your next purchase. I don't have alot of money but maybe $400 or so. I shoot alot of sports during the summer fall and I will be shooting Pee Wee wrestling in a month or so. I know the lenes I have now are not the best, however they do a real good job for me.

Any help is greatly apperciated.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 17, 2004
    briandh76 wrote:
    Ok here's what I have:
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N75
    Promaster 28-80 F/3.5-5.6 D
    Promaster 100mm 3.5 macro
    Tamron 75-300 F/4-5.6 D
    Some misc Filters
    Quantaray 7500a flash (for the n75)
    Wirless remote
    ---In the works is an SB-800 flash

What would be your next purchase. I don't have alot of money but maybe $400 or so. I shoot alot of sports during the summer fall and I will be shooting Pee Wee wrestling in a month or so. I know the lenes I have now are not the best, however they do a real good job for me.

Any help is greatly apperciated.

A really good craftsman does not blame the limitation of his tools - He learns to do the very best he can with the tools at hand.

The range from 28-300 mm is covered with adequate, but not fast, glass. Real good fast glass is going to cost a lot more than $400.

You could buy a pretty nice tripod and an L bracket from Really Right stuff and learn to use them. A good tripod will really improve the quality of your images with your existing glass I bet. Do you own Photshop Elements 3 yet? Or are you saving for Photoshop CS?

Let's see what other thread readers suggest

1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    briandh76briandh76 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    A really good craftsman does not blame the limitation of his tools - He learns to do the very best he can with the tools at hand.

The range from 28-300 mm is covered with adequate, but not fast, glass. Real good fast glass is going to cost a lot more than $400.

You could buy a pretty nice tripod and an L bracket from Really Right stuff and learn to use them. A good tripod will really improve the quality of your images with your existing glass I bet. Do you own Photshop Elements 3 yet? Or are you saving for Photoshop CS?

Let's see what other thread readers suggest

1drink.gif
    I forgot to add that I do have a tripod as well. I have Elements 2, PS 7. I'm such a noob at Photoshop so I have no need to get CS.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    briandh76 wrote:
    I forgot to add that I do have a tripod as well. I have Elements 2, PS 7. I'm such a noob at Photoshop so I have no need to get CS.
    PS7 is fine...I got CS because it was free and I like the shadow and highlight feature...like it was said above, practice with what you have. I have great equipment now but there was a time when I had only a Coolpix 885...and I took some pretty cool photos with that. Some people have all of the best stuff and their photos are like, well, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    briandh76 wrote:

Then I get an L bracket for the D70 and a nice tripod ball head of your choice. A CD from Total Training for Adobe PS would also be nice. PS 7 is fine unless you need the RAW converter from CS and the shadow/hihglight tool. But the upgrade from 7 to CS is not that expensive either.

• Options
    briandh76briandh76 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Then I get an L bracket for the D70 and a nice tripod ball head of your choice. A CD from Total Training for Adobe PS would also be nice. PS 7 is fine unless you need the RAW converter from CS and the shadow/hihglight tool. But the upgrade from 7 to CS is not that expensive either.
    Not sure what you are talking about witht he RAW convertor. I can open my RAW files (.NEF) with PS 7. But I couldn't untill I installed the Nikon software Which is Picture Project and Nikon Capture Editor. Is there somthing else that I need?
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    briandh76 wrote:
    Not sure what you are talking about witht he RAW convertor. I can open my RAW files (.NEF) with PS 7. But I couldn't untill I installed the Nikon software Which is Picture Project and Nikon Capture Editor. Is there somthing else that I need?

There is a RAW Converter in Photoshop CS and a plug in for PS 7 I believe as well. If you are happy with the Nikon Raw converter stick with it.

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    If I had your setup there, I think I'd get a 500/8 catadioptric lens. They are about $119 for Vivitar and other lower end brands that do fine work at 5x7 and below. Or you can get a fisheye adapter, they can be fun.

I think what I am trying to say is to look at things differently than you do now.