Sunday Morning Football - Not NFL though

CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited October 16, 2006 in Sports
More mini pee-wee football...
1) Running back turning a corner on the edge. Would this be considered too tight?
100941513-M.jpg
#2)Last line of the defense making a tackle. Would you clone out the Ref's hand?
100927930-M.jpg
#3) Gang Tackle
100927959-M.jpg
Hope you folks like these. Cheers
LT
Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.

Comments

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    nice closeups and cute shots..i don't like the backgrounds though...looks like blown skies...what metering did you use ?
  • CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    nice closeups and cute shots..i don't like the backgrounds though...looks like blown skies...what metering did you use ?
    Thank you! I don't remember to be honest. I normally have the camera set on Spot metering and would meter off my subject(in this case mostly the White numbers or black jerseys).
    I'll have to remember to keep that in mind the next time. Thanks again.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
  • cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about "blown" skies ...

If you expose for the sky, then you're most likely going to lose "faces" .... and I really don't think you want to do that ....

It's hard enough to get good shots of faces underneath football helmets - you've done that here. My suggestion would be to keep the faces instead of making sure that the sky is a pretty blue .... parents will notice if they can see their kid's face ....
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    cecilc wrote:
    Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about "blown" skies ...

I agree completely. You can't have both faces and sky if the dynamic range of the shot is beyond the camera - as it quite often is.

Don't sweat it - the faces are good and the action is good - these are well done.
    edited October 12, 2006
    Thank you CecilC and Thank you Johng. I really appreciate your feedback very much!
    LT
  • cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    CalexPhoto wrote:
    More mini pee-wee football...
    1) Running back turning a corner on the edge. Would this be considered too tight?
    100941513-M.jpg

I also meant to answer this question, too, but didn't ...

Anyway, "No" ... this is not too tight. In fact, I would probably try to crop it even tighter .... to lose the top empty space and try to get rid of the "half-defender" over there ....

But there is no such thing as "too tight" .....
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
    edited October 13, 2006
    cecilc wrote:
    I also meant to answer this question, too, but didn't ...

Anyway, "No" ... this is not too tight. In fact, I would probably try to crop it even tighter .... to lose the top empty space and try to get rid of the "half-defender" over there ....

But there is no such thing as "too tight" .....
    Hey thanks again cecilc! I appreciate that.
    LT
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Calex - I would consider the elbow being chopped off too tight. Since you dont have the other player in the frame except for a dwarfed shoulder I would have centered on the KWAA player and kept the elbow in the shot. Great shot though. I also would try to clone the refs arm out in #2 however not necessary. Great job :)
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
    edited October 13, 2006
    Calex - I would consider the elbow being chopped off too tight. Since you dont have the other player in the frame except for a dwarfed shoulder I would have centered on the KWAA player and kept the elbow in the shot. Great shot though. I also would try to clone the refs arm out in #2 however not necessary. Great job :)
    Thanks Stephie, I appreciate the feedback and suggestions, I will keep in mind for this week's sports shots if I get a chance for some. Thanks again.
    Cheers
    LT
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    I think the pic's are just fine....but there are millions of opinions out there. The skies are fine to me, since the exosure on the players is good. I always try to crop in camera, and don't do post cropping on any photo that I may sell. I don't want to crop a photo too small, and eliminate the possibility of the customer getting a the print size they want. If I don't like it, I don't post it for sale.

When shooting fast action you can't always get the perfect crop, and that's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck this weekend!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited October 16, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I think the pic's are just fine....but there are millions of opinions out there. The skies are fine to me, since the exosure on the players is good. I always try to crop in camera, and don't do post cropping on any photo that I may sell. I don't want to crop a photo too small, and eliminate the possibility of the customer getting a the print size they want. If I don't like it, I don't post it for sale.

When shooting fast action you can't always get the perfect crop, and that's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck this weekend!

THANK YOU Jeffro! I appreciate your positive feedback. I too have not really cropped it too much in case the parents may want these blown up big. I will however crop if needed to fit a magazine or paper spot as needed.
    Too bad I had to travel this weekend, so no Sports pics, just some family Baptism pics. :D
    Always appreciate all the advice and comments from everyone here.
    LT